The calendar is telling me that it's the first thursday in June (where did May go?) and that means it's time to #FillTheCookieJar! This month's theme is Summer, and I had a bit of a hard time getting into the spirit of things.
May was a rainy, rainy month and a few nights we had to put the heat back on. While I was bundled back into my flannel shirt, all I could think about was a roaring campfire, and making S'mores. I found this recipe from Abby M on the Taste of Home website.
I made no changes to the ingredients, but I do have issue with most recipes that use "S'mores" in the title. Melted marshmallows are not the same as toasted marshmallows. For it to really be a S'more to me, it has to have that toasted (sometimes charred) flavor.
Instead of microwaving the cookies with the marshmallows on top, I placed them back onto the baking sheet and put them under the broiler until they were toasted. You could also use a kitchen torch.
We totally enjoyed this taste of summer! Thank you so much to Cynthia at Feeding Big for hosting #FillTheCookieJar! Lots of wonderful, summery recipes being shared this month, go check them out by clicking the links at the bottom of the post :)
S'more Sandwich Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter -- softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 20 squares)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips -- (12 ounces)
- 24 large marshmallows -- (24 to 28)
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Place four cookies bottom side up on a microwave-safe plate; top each with a marshmallow. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10-15 seconds or until marshmallows begin to puff (do not overcook). Top each with another cookie. Repeat.
- Source "http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/s-more-sandwich-cookies"