Fire & Ice Pickles- Taste of Home Tuesday

Every summer I say that I'm going to make homemade pickles and it just never seems to get done.   I was so excited to find this recipe for a spicy pickle that starts with store bought!  

I originally made the recipe as written, but when I snuck a taste about 6 days in, I wanted some more heat.  I added an additional teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.   These are great on burgers!   The only negative thing I can say about this recipe is waiting the week for them to be ready was torture  :)   Thanks so much to Myra I. for sharing it!

On Tuesdays, I like to share what my other Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor friends are making.   This week Ellen made Barbecue Bacon Cheddar Chicken.  We loved that one too.    Shannon served up Chicken Parmesan Slider Bake, which I know will be a huge hit with my chicken parm loving husband. 






print recipe

Fire & Ice Pickles

  • 2 jars dill pickle slices or spears, 32oz each
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes- I used 1 1/2 teaspoons
  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled
Drain and discard juice from pickles. In a large bowl, combine pickles, sugar, pepper sauce and pepper flakes; mix well. Cover and let stand 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Spoon pickle mixture into 3 pint-size jars; add a garlic clove to each. Cover and refrigerate 1 week before serving. Store in the refrigerator up to 1 month. 
Yield: 3 pints. 
Source: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/fire-and-ice-pickles


Family Around The Table Barbecue Bacon Cheddar Chicken
Jolene's Recipe Journal Fire & Ice Pickles 
Making the Most of Naptime Chicken Parmesan Slider Bake
 
 Want to become a Volunteer Field Editor?  Check out the requirements and apply here





Comments

  1. I remember my Mom making pickles from store bought...hers weren't hot though. Those look like something Bob would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the only one here that eats pickles, so I got to make them as spicy as I wanted :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, I've never even thought of making a different kind of pickle from some that are already done. This opens up a whole new world of custom flavor combos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I don't know why I've never thought of it before. Plus I have the pickle brine leftover to use in another recipe.

      Delete
  3. These sound delicious! I love making pickles but have never tried making any with store bought before. I'm intrigued - the flavors sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I always stop myself from making them because I'm the only one that eats them. This way I get a delicious end result with less work.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins