One of the best parts of summer is the variety of local produce that's available. We have a short growing season in New England, so we try to get out to the farms at least once a week. I have a "never say no to a fruit or vegetable" policy with my son. If he wants to try it, I'll buy it and fix it.
Tomatoes are one of my favorite things to get, especially the heirloom and bite-sized versions. I love the variety of shapes and colors they come in now. And nothing goes better with tomatoes than fresh mozzarella and basil! I could eat that combo every day and be a happy girl.
This is such a simple recipe, and is great as an appetizer, light lunch, snacking on the go. You can eat them after 3 hours, but I found them best if they marinated for at least 24 hours. I've made them several times, and if I didn't feel like heating up the house for the bread, I used store bought Texas Toast croutons.
So many great recipes coming your way this week, check out the links below. I've stocked up on printer ink and made my shopping list for my next trip to the farm! Thank you to Christie from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures for hosting #FarmersMarketWeek!
Marinated Mozzarella & Tomato Appetizers
- 1/2 cup Italian Salad dressing, I used balsamic
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cartons miniature fresh mozzarella cheese balls
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 12 pieces french bread baguette, sliced about 1/2" thick
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Combine salad dressing, basil, chives and pepper. Add cheese and tomatoes; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 3 hours to let flavors blend (I'd recommend at least 24hrs).
- Meanwhile, toss baguette pieces with oil and salt; arrange on a baking sheet. Bake until toasted, 4-5 minutes. Cool completely.
- Just before serving, add toasted bread to cheese mixture; toss to combine. If desired, thread tomatoes, cheese and bread on skewers for serving.
- Yield: 16 servings.
- Source: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/marinated-mozzarella---tomato-appetizers