Still working on your menu for the big game? I've been taste testing recipes over the last few weeks, and I'll definitely be making these Bell Pepper Nachos again. My guys will be scarfing down crispy cheesy treats, and I didn't want to be left out just because I'm eating healthier.
I made some slight changes, the first was to not use any green peppers, I prefer the red, yellow, and orange. I used a brown rice and quinoa mix. I'm not a fan of cilantro, so I used dried parsley. I love that you can pre-prep them and pop them under the broiler at a later time. Thank you so much to Aneta K for sharing the recipe!
Bell Pepper Nachos
- 2 medium green peppers (used orange)
- 2 medium sweet red pepper
- 2 medium sweet yellow pepper
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (I used a brown rice/quinoa mix)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley (I used dried parsley)
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut peppers into 1-1/2- to 2-in. squares. Cut each square in half diagonally to form two triangles; set aside.
- In a lightly greased skillet, cook the tomatoes, onion, chili powder and cumin over medium heat for 3 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat. Add rice, Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro and hot pepper sauce; stir well.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon onto each pepper triangle. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Broil 6-8 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and rice is heated through.