It's #TasteofHomeTuesday again, and this week's recipe came from the Comfort Food Makeovers cookbook, which I got as part of the Special Delivery Winter Box. I marked so many recipes in the cookbook, I had a hard time deciding which one to try first!
I know it's crazy, but I just started cooking eggs this year. I didn't really care for them as a kid, and my son had a sensitivity when he was little, so I never made them for him either. But I'm trying to expand my food world a bit, and this Calico Pepper Frittata looked like a great way to do it. It's packed with delicious veggies, and really is a fast dish once you do all the prep work.
The only change I made was to use red, yellow and orange peppers, no green bell peppers. At the very end, the top was still a little underdone for my tastes, so I stuck it under the broiler for a bit. I absolutely loved this.
I've been eating healthier for a few months now, and it was a great way to get in my veggies and protein. It reheated great, and made a perfect on-the-go breakfast. You could really use any veggies you wanted, add bacon or sausage. So versatile. Thanks so much to Loretta K for sharing the recipe!
Calico Pepper Frittata
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups egg substitute
- 1 Tablespoon grated Romano Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped- omitted, used yellow and orange
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, medium, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a large bowl, whisk the first five ingredients until blended.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add peppers and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Pour in egg mixture. Mixture should set immediately at edges.
- Cook, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until eggs are completely set, pushing cooked portions toward the center and letting uncooked eggs flow underneath.
- Cut into wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
Created using The Recipes Generator
Do you have an amazing recipe you'd like to submit to Taste of Home? Follow this link and learn how! Want to apply to be a Volunteer Field Editor? Check out the requirements and apply here!
*This post contains an affiliate link. I earn a small commission at no cost to you with the purchase of this product.