For their chicken, I used the seasoning with a very light hand, they're not as into spicy food as I am. I knew that they wouldn't try the black bean mixture, but it was easy to prepare the remainder of the frozen corn for them to have as a side. I used low sodium black beans, and 'hot' salsa. I served it with a microwaveable 90 second brown rice/quinoa mix that I absolutely love.
The chicken on its own was fantastic, and I'm now searching out more recipes to use black beans. We loved the seasoning so much that I mixed up an extra batch and have it stored in my spice rack. I love that the dish is done on the stovetop, and comes together so quickly. I think it will be awesome grilled too. Thank you so much to Molly N. for sharing her recipe!
Do you have an amazing recipe you'd like to submit to Taste of Home? Follow this link and learn how! Want to apply to be a Volunteer Field Editor? Check out the requirements and apply here!
Black Bean Chicken with Rice
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 4oz each
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained, I used low sodium
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa, I used hot
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice (I used one mixed with quinoa)
- In a small bowl, mix seasonings; sprinkle over both sides of chicken.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium heat.
- Brown chicken on both sides.
- Add beans, corn, and salsa to skillet; cook, covered, 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°.
- Remove chicken from pan; cut into slices.
- Serve with bean mixture and rice. Yield: 4 servings.
black beans, corn, chicken
Main dishes, poultry, beans
Created using The Recipes Generator