Skip to main content

Crunchy Cool Coleslaw

This post is sponsored in conjunction with #BBQWeek. I received product samples from sponsors to use in creating #BBQWeek recipes. However, all opinions are mine alone.

 
 
Hope you are enjoying #BBQWeek so far, I know I am! A barbecue isn't complete without some awesome side dishes, and coleslaw is a pretty popular one. Since I'm not a fan of mayo, I've never really made or eaten coleslaw before.  I saw this recipe on the Taste of Home site, and thought I'd give it a try.

I made slight changes to the recipe, using the red, orange, and yellow peppers I had on hand. I also substituted pepitas instead of nuts. It all comes together so quickly, the peppers and apple make it so colorful, and the dressing is light and tastes great.  Thank you so much to Elaine H. for sharing her recipe!


Crunchy Cool Coleslaw

Crunchy Cool Coleslaw

ingredients:

  • 2 packages coleslaw mix (16 ounces each)
  • 2 medium Honeycrisp apples, julienned
  • 1 large carrot, shredded
  • 3/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper (I used red, orange and yellow)
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dry roasted peanuts or cashews (I used pepitas)

instructions:

  1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, sugar, celery seed and salt.
  2. Just before serving, pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with nuts or pepitas.
  3. Yield: 16 servings.
Source: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/crunchy-cool-coleslaw
apples, cabbage
Side dishes, Picnic, Cookoutm BBQ
American
Created using The Recipes Generator


See what the bloggers served up Tuesday for #BBQWeek

Chipotle Chicken Kabobs by The Freshman Cook
Crunchy Cool Coleslaw by Jolene's Recipe Journal 
Hamburger & Hotdog Spiedini Hoagies by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures 
Smoky Date Pork Chops by Cindy's Recipes and Writings  


Comments

  1. I'm always up for cole slaw! I love all the goodies in here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 'm not a big fan of mayo either and I hate that some slaws use some much mustard and vinegar you can't taste anything else. This looks like the perfect balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you added apple for that little touch of sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a tasty cole slaw. I love that you have added apples to your slaw. It adds a nice sweetness to the yummy salad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Back in the day I used to bake from home for extra money.  This was one of the most popular items.  Cake mix sizes have changed and if you're using the 15.75 ounce ones bake them in 8" pans. If you want to use the 9" rounds, you can also use this cake mix upsizer to make up the difference between the old and new cake mix sizes.  If the layers are too thin, you'll never be able to flip and stack them without a mess. Be sure to keep track of which pan has the pineapple rings and cherries in it and which doesn't so that you can easily turn them out onto the plate in the right order.    Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained 1/2 stick butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 8 ounce can pineapple slices 8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice 1 package yellow cake mix (15.75 ounces) Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter and coat the