We took a trip to New York back in August and we got to try so many iconic foods. The black and white cookies were one of our favorites. While this isn't exactly the same as the original, it's a fun spin on it, perfect for Halloween!
I made no changes to the recipe. Be sure to spray the sheets with nonstick spray or grease them or they will stick. If you aren't feeling artistic enough to pipe the webs and spiders, festively colored sprinkles are great too. Thank you so much to the Taste of Home Styling Team for this fun recipe!
Do you have an amazing recipe you'd like to submit to Taste of Home? Follow this link and learn how! Want to apply to be a Volunteer Field Editor? Check out the requirements and apply here!
Black & White Spider Cookies
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon warm water (1 to 3)
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs and water; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a large heavy saucepan, combine water and corn syrup; bring just to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat; whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate. Stir in 1 cup of icing and 1 tablespoon warm water until smooth. (Icings will thicken as they stand; stir in additional water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to thin if necessary.)
- Spoon chocolate icing over half of each cookie; spread evenly. Spoon vanilla icing over the remaining half of cookies; spread evenly. Let stand until set.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert #2 round pastry tip. Fill the bag with remaining vanilla icing; pipe a spider web onto the chocolate half of each cookie.
- Using another bag, pipe spiders onto cookies with remaining chocolate icing. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
Black & White Cookie, Halloween
Created using The Recipes Generator