This post is sponsored in conjunction with ChristmasCookiesWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the ChristmasCookiesWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
I was venting (okay, maybe I was whining) to my friend Kathy about how much I missed them. She told me that she makes a variation of them that uses chopped maraschino cherries instead of the walnuts, and she was nice enough to share the recipe.
I only made one slight change to the version she gave me, and that was in the size of the scoop. I used a tablespoon sized cookie scoop instead of a teaspoon. Using a scoop makes getting even portions a breeze, but be sure to then roll them into balls by hand.
The glaze is what really puts these over the top. It's very simple to put together. If you prefer white icing, omit the cocoa and increase the powdered sugar by 1/3c. Top with whatever sprinkles are appropriate to the occasion.
I have a huge fan of the chocolate and cherry combination, and it was so nice to be able to share these with my guys. Kathy, you are awesome, thank you so much! I hope you all are enjoying #ChristmasCookiesWeek so far, be sure to go and check out what the other #FestiveFoodies are making using the links down below.
Don't forget to enter the giveaway, there are four great prize packages donated by our sponsors. You can get the details on the prizes here, and the entry form is at the bottom of the post.
Chocolate Cherry Totos
- 4 c flour
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c cocoa
- 2 T instant coffee
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t cloves
- 1 T baking powder
- 3/4 c shortening
- 1 c milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2t vanilla
- 3/4 c chopped maraschino cherries
- 3/4 c mini chocolate chips
- 2lb bag confectioner's sugar
- 1/3c cocoa
- 2/3c warm milk
- 1/2t vanilla extract
- Multicolored sprinkles
- Put the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl and stir until well blended. Add shortening and work with your fingers until a crumbly texture is achieved. Make a well in the center and add the remaining ingredients. Stir with a large wooden spoon to combine. The dough will be sticky. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Scoop dough by the tablespoonful and shape into balls. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 13 minutes. Remove from sheets and cool completely on racks.
- Mix warm milk and butter with sugar and cocoa until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Dip cookies into icing, and let the excess run off. Place on racks. Top with sprinkles. Let icing set up before serving.
Source: Slightly adapted from Kathy F's recipe
#ChristmasCookiesWeek Tuesday Recipes
- Authentic Italian Pizzelles by House of Nash Eats
- Chocolate Cherry Totos by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Chocolate Dipped Fluffernutter Cookies by Cooking With Carlee
- Christmas Tree Whoopie Pies by The Freshman Cook
- Cranberry Kit-Kat Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Delicious Cookies by Corn, Beans, Pigs & Kids
- Gingernuts by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Havreflarn Norwegian Oatmeal Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Honey Sugar Cookies by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Iced Cutout Cookies by Kate's Recipe Box
- Peppermint Snowball Cookies by Family Around the Table
- Soft Gingerbread Cut Out Cookies by Daily Dish Recipes
- The Best Soft Sugar Cookies by The Saucy Fig
- White Christmas Kiss Cookies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- White Christmas Peppermint Holiday Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
a Rafflecopter giveaway Disclaimer: Thank you #ChristmasCookiesWeek sponsors: Adams Extract, Sprinkle Pop, YumGoggle and Silpat for providing the prizes free of charge. The #ChristmasCookiesWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Four (4) winners will be selected at random from entries recevied. The prize packages will be fulfilled by and sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. #ChristmasCookiesWeek bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household are not eligible enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookiesWeek posts or entry.