It's been a while since I've been able to jump in on the Improv Cooking Challenge, so I'm glad to be joining the other bloggers this month! The two ingredients this time around are lime and avocado, and this one truly was a challenge for me, because I've not had much success when it comes to avocados. I can never seem to time the purchase of them correctly so that they are ripe when I need them.
This time I avoided that dilemma by purchasing pre-mashed avocado in the produce section. It had a best by date on it that was almost 2 weeks out, which was fortunate because my schedule has been a bit out of my control as of late. With that secured, I went searching for recipes, and found this Lime Avocado Hummus on the Taste of Home site.
Over the past year I've become a big fan of hummus, and was excited to try a new spin on it. What I was not as excited about was seeing cilantro in the ingredient list. Sadly, I am in the camp of people that cilantro tastes like soap. As much as I've tried to like it, I just can't, so I left it out.
This comes together super quickly in the blender or food processor. I doubled the garlic that was called for in the original recipe, because I'm Italian and no recipes should only call for one clove of garlic. I served this with bell pepper strips, and to add a little bit more crunch to it, sprinkled the top with pepitas. I also enjoyed it spread on multigrain wrap and topped with grilled chicken.
Thanks so much to Nicole from Cookaholic Wife for hosting! The #ImprovCookingChallenge is a monthly blogging event where two ingredients are assigned to a month. Bloggers can make any recipe they like as long as it features the two ingredients. If you are a blogger and would like to join us, please visit our Facebook page.You can also read more about the event on our our home page. If you’d like to see previous creations, check out our Pinterest board.
Lime Avocado Hummus
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 can garbanzo beans or chickpeas (15 ounces) rinsed and drained
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley sprigs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (omitted)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips, bell pepper strips, carrot sticks for dipping
- Pepitas or sunflower seeds, optional
How to cook Lime Avocado Hummus
- Place peppercorns in a food processor; process until ground. Add remaining ingredients; process 2-3 minutes longer or until smooth. Serve with chips, cut up veggies, etc.
Created using The Recipes Generator
Avocado & Lime
Improv Cooking Challenge
- Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado-Lime Crema by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Avocado Salsa by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Guacamole by Sneha’s Recipe
- Lime Avocado Hummus by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Avocado Toast with Lime Mayo by Our Good Life
- Carne Asada Fries by Cookaholic Wife
- Avocado Cupcakes with Lime Frosting by A Day in the Life on the Farm