In this case, I'd procrastinated making a recipe that I needed for a post until way beyond what would be considered last minute. I crammed making the recipe in between several other things I needed to be doing without ever thinking about what would happen if it didn't turn out perfectly.
I pulled the first loaf out of the oven and the middle was completely sunken in. I didn't have time to process, I needed to get a loaf baked, cooled, glazed and photographed, so I put together a second batch of batter. Well, that one sank in the middle too.
I went ahead and glazed them anyway, and took some photos. The guys were milling about, because regardless of what the loaves looked like, they smelled absolutely amazing. All I can say is both loaves were gone within 3 days.
I've determined my issue was mostly likely a combination of overmixing and my baking soda being past its prime. Definitely some sort of user error. I pulled out the recipe to give it another try and decided I wanted to share the first attempt even though it's not picture perfect, blogworthy photography-wise.
What's your biggest kitchen fail?
Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons milk (1 1/2 to 2)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking soda and salt. Combine buttermilk, egg and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- Grease the bottom only of a 9x5-in. loaf pan. Pour half of the batter into pan; sprinkle with half the cinnamon-sugar. Carefully spread with remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar; cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over loaf. Yield: 1 loaf.
cinnamon, quick bread
Created using The Recipes Generator