This week I've been testing out some potential new side dishes for our holiday celebrations. First up were these Pretzel Topped Sweet Potatoes from Taste of Home. I did adapt the recipe slightly based on what I had on hand, which was mini pretzel twists and dried cranberries.
I also chose to bake the mixture in ramekins to make individual servings rather than family style, I like how people can just grab one (or two) and not have to dish out of a bigger vessel. Plus it insures an equal amount of the delicious topping for everyone. Thank you so much to Sue M. for sharing her amazing recipe!
Pretzel-Topped Sweet Potatoes
- 2 cups chopped pretzel mini twists
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4c dried cranberries
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1 can (2-1/2 pounds) sweet potatoes, drained
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the pretzels, pecans, cranberries, brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sweet potatoes until smooth. Add the milk, sugar, vanilla and remaining butter; beat until well blended.
- Spoon into greased ramekins, sprinkle with pretzel mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges are bubbly.