September is #WholeGrainsMonth and I'm celebrating with one of my favorites, quinoa!
I eat a lot of brown rice/quinoa blends and other savory dishes, but I really wanted to find a way to sweeten it up. I found this Spiced Blueberry Quinoa on the Taste of Home site.
I had bagged pre-rinsed quinoa which made this one a breeze to make. I'm not a huge fan of almonds, so I used some pecans instead. Next time I'll toast them or maybe glaze them. Full disclosure, I didn't measure the blueberries. I had most of a pint left, dumped some in and then reserved some for the top.
I packed the cooled quinoa into jars for easy grab and go breakfast. I topped them off with some more pecans and blueberries. It's great cold or warmed back up and a nice change from overnight oats. Thank you so much to Shannon C for sharing her recipe!
Spiced Blueberry Quinoa
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and well drained
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted (used whole pecans)
- In a small saucepan, cook and stir quinoa over medium heat until lightly toasted, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in almond milk, honey, cinnamon and salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until quinoa is tender and liquid is almost absorbed, 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in blueberries and vanilla. Sprinkle with nuts, if desired.