I'm always on the lookout for easy, economical family pleasing recipes. These Lil Cheddar Meat Loaves from Taste of Home are a perfect example of that.
A pound of 80/20 ground beef is running just under $5 here in New England and most of the other ingredients are pantry staples. If you don't keep fresh onion on hand you can substitute 2 tablespoons of minced dried onions.
I revved it up a bit by swapping out half the regular ketchup for jalapeno ketchup. I liked the little zip, but you could also get that by adding a couple drops of sriracha or your favorite hot sauce to the regular ketchup.
The recipe is easily doubled and after they are baked I move them to a clean cookie sheet, freeze them until solid and then vacuum seal them in portions. One loaf is also the perfect size for a nice sandwich on hearty bread. Thank you so much to Kathy B for sharing her recipe!
Lil Cheddar Meat Loaves
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup jalapeno ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, whisk egg and milk.
- Stir in the cheese, oats, onion and salt.
- Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 8 loaves; place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard; spoon over loaves.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°.