Skip to main content

Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

Meatloaf is a tough sell around here.  A lot of the things that classically go into making a delicious meatloaf are things that my guys just don't like. I found Zac and Paige's recipe on the Taste of Home site and decided to see if it would pass muster with them.

I did make a few small adjustments. I just used ground beef and ground pork, I couldn't get veal.  I used dried minced onions and dried parsley.  We had a surplus of Ritz crackers so I used those in place of the Saltines.

The recipe recommends using a sheet pan but personally I like my two part meatloaf pan.  It keeps the loaf up and out of any fat or liquids that accumulate.  I did not make the sauce mixture because they won't eat it. so I laid the bacon directly on top of the loaf.

You may notice that there are no photos of the baked loaf.  That's because it got eaten so fast I did not have a chance to take any.  I will be making this again soon and I will double the recipe because there wasn't even enough leftover for a sandwich and that's my favorite part of meatloaf! 

 

Update- finally got a few baked loaf pics the third time that I made this.  Just a few, because it still disappears very quickly! I really really love the two part pans, I just lift the loaf out and slide it onto the cutting board.

Then I portion it out so that each piece gets a slice of bacon. You can definitely go half that width if you like, I would do it thinner for sandwiches if it ever lasted long enough to make any! 


Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

Ingredients

  • 2T dried minced onions
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • 2/3 cup crushed Ritz crackers
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 1/4 pound ground beef
  • 3/4 pound ground pork
  • 9 slices bacon strips
SAUCE: (did not use)
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar

Instructions

  1. In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon, pepper sauce, saltine, parsley and seasonings; stir in onion mixture.
  3. Crumble meats over mixture and mix well. With wet hands, shape into a loaf and place in a greased foil-lined 13-in.x 9-in. baking dish.
  4. In a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients; cook and stir until the sugar is dissolved and sauce has thickened. Spoon some sauce over loaf; place bacon over top.
  5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°.
bacon, meatloaf
comfort food, Main dishes, beef
American


****************

PIN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Strawberry Pizzelles

Pizzelles are one of my favorite childhood cookies and I'm constantly looking for ways to put a new spin on them.  Since one of my favorite summer fruits is strawberries, I swapped out the vanilla in the original recipe with strawberry extract.  This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SummerDessertWeek !  I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. I also added some red food coloring to give it a pink hue, but you can skip that if you like.  I use a cookie scoop to portion out the batter, it keeps all the pizzelles the same size, plus it's quicker than using two spoons.   They're delicious as is but you can take them over the top by fashioning them into a cylinder which we like to call fauxnoli.  You can pipe them full of whipped cream or buttercream.  If you want to prepare everything in advance, store the pizzelle in an airtight container, and the filling in a pastry or zip top bag in the f