Green beans are one of the few vegetables my guys will eat without complaint so I'm always looking for new ways to change them up. I found Merry G's Maple Glazed Green Beans on the Taste of Home website and knew they'd be a hit because they love maple syrup and bacon.
March is Maple Month here in New Hampshire but it's definitely not the time of year to get fresh green beans. I opted for using a steam in bag variety which cooks in about 4 1/2 minutes.
I love how the syrup cooks down and candies the bacon and onions and dried cranberries. I went light on the pepper while cooking it and added more to my portion at the table. Using the steam in bag beans makes this a super fast side dish, perfect for busy weeknights!
Maple Glazed Green Beans
- 10.8 oz steam in bag green beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- Prepare beans according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onion and bacon over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain.
- Stir cranberries, syrup, salt, pepper and, if desired, bourbon into onion mixture.
- Add beans; heat through, tossing to combine.