I am a huge fan of overnight oats. I've got several varieties that I rotate through depending on the season. I had some leftover crushed pineapple and cherries from another recipe and I couldn't get the idea of a pineapple upside down version out of my head.
I started by combining steel cut oats, chia seeds, cinnamon and some brown sugar in a bowl. You can use old fashioned or quick oats too, the only difference will be the texture of the finished oatmeal.
Next up, some crushed pineapple. I drained away the juice and will reserve that for something else. You can definitely use fresh if you want to.
I tossed in some quartered maraschino cherries, about five or six pieces per layer. I just love the bright pops of color!
I repeated the layers 3 times, ending with the pineapple and cherry layer. I used a measuring spoon so I could get rough amounts to share but most of the time I just layer things in by eye.
I combined almond milk with some vanilla extract and slowly poured it into the jars. I popped on reusable lids and stashed them in the fridge overnight. Steel cut oats take a bit longer to absorb than other types.
You can enjoy overnight oats straight from the fridge or you can warm them up. Most of the time I'll eat them right out of the jar. It's so nice to have breakfast waiting on me rather than trying to come up with something to eat when I'm not quite awake yet!
Pineapple Upside Down Overnight Oats
- 1.5 cups steel cut oats (I like Flahavan's)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chia seed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple in its own juice, drained
- 8 to 10 maraschino cherries, quartered
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine oats, brown sugar, chia and cinnamon in a bowl. Add a rounded 1/4 cup of mixture to each jar.
- Top with 1 tablespoon of pineapple and 5 or 6 pieces of cherry.
- Repeat twice more, ending with pineapple/cherry layer.
- Combine almond milk and vanilla. Slowly pour 1 cup into each jar.
- Place lids on jars and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve cold or warm.