Today is National Coffee Cake Day and to celebrate I made Heather O's Berry Topped Coffee Cake from Taste of Home. It's not berry season here so had to rely on the grocery store offerings and I ended up with huge blueberries and strawberries.
Other than the fruit, I made a few small changes to the recipe. Since I had the cinnamon out for the topping I added some to the batter as well.
Instead of fat free milk in the glaze I used half and half, it was what I had on hand. I used the tines of a fork to drizzle it on in one direction, turned the rack and then drizzled in the other direction.
Loved the texture of the cake and the fantastic berry flavor. I enjoyed it with my coffee, my guys are not morning people so they had it for dessert.
Thanks to all of the other #NationalCoffeecakeDay bloggers for joining me today and sharing their recipes. Be sure to swing by and see what they made using the links down below!
Berry Topped Coffee Cake
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced strawberrie
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-in. springform pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in egg and lemon zest. In another bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well (batter will be thick). Spread into prepared pan.
- For topping, mix sugar, flour and cinnamon; toss gently with berries. Distribute over batter to within 1 in. of sides. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove rim from pan.
- Mix glaze ingredients. Drizzle over warm coffee cake.