This month's Taste of Home Bakeable challenge is carrot cake. One of the suggestions given were Leanne G's Carrot Cake Pancakes. We're big fans of pancakes and I had everything on hand.
Once the carrots are shredded everything else for the batter comes together really quickly. I used a cookie scoop to drop it onto the skillet which keeps them all nice and uniform. They're so fluffy and you can see the pieces of carrot on the top and sides.
I omitted the cinnamon addition to the maple syrup and I didn't reduce it. Real NH maple syrup is delicious on its own. I dolloped the cream cheese mixture on, then some shredded carrots, but I wanted another crunchy element.
I decided to do some candied pecans for a topper. It's super simple, you just add the nuts, brown sugar and a little bit of water to a skillet over medium heat. Toss until the sugar is dissolved and the pecans are coated and then move them to parchment to cool.https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/bakeable-challenge/
Carrot Cake Pancakes
- 2 cups pancake mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, glazed (see note)
- Finely shredded carrots
- In a large bowl, combine the pancake mix, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk; stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in carrots.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a nonstick skillet or a greased hot griddle. Turn pancakes when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and milk.
- Serve pancakes with cream cheese mixture and syrup; top with glazed pecans and shredded carrots.
Slightly adapted from: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/carrot-cake-pancakes/