Spring is in the air and the local farms have started advertising their wares. Some of the first things that are available are spring greens. I snapped up some baby spinach and then searched out a recipe on the Taste of Home site to use it.
Madeleine B's Lime Coconut Smoothie Bowl fit the bill nicely because I had all the other ingredients on hand. My only small changes were to use vanilla Greek yogurt instead of the plain and to add some chia. I left out the cream cheese.
This comes together super fast in the blender on the smoothie setting. I topped the bowls with shredded coconut, sliced bananas, chia, lime zest and some pepitas. Other options for toppings would be sliced almonds, dark chocolate chips, granola or lime wedges.
You don't have to make them as bowls, you can pop the mixture into mason jars with lids for an easy on the go breakfast or you can add a little more liquid like almond milk and make them more drinkable. No matter how you serve them, it's an amazing way to start the day!
Lime Coconut Smoothie Bowl
- 1 medium banana, peeled and frozen
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 1/2 cup cubed fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled mango or frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon spreadable cream cheese, optional
- Place the first 12 ingredients in a blender; if desired, add cream cheese.
- Cover and process until smooth. Pour into chilled bowls. Serve immediately, with optional toppings as desired.