What an awesome #BBQWeek this has been! I'm wrapping things up with one of my favorite portable desserts, whoopie pies! I found this Lemon Blueberry version on the Taste of Home website.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #BBQWeek. The sponsors, Rainier Foods and Intensity Academy, generously provided prize packages to give away to the readers, however, all opinions are mine alone.
Sadly, local blueberries are still a ways off here so I had to rely on store bought. The container I got was loaded with huge berries. I like to use a cookie scoop rather than fool around with the two spoons nonsense. It helps to keep them all the same size, roughly.
Though the recipe says it makes a dozen I only got 10 and I'm guessing that's because my giant blueberries threw it off. These are smaller than what we're used to and they didn't last long. I definitely would double the recipe next time.
My guys claim to hate cream cheese but they absolutely loved this filling recipe. It whips up super easy. You definitely could swap out the lemon for this one with orange if you're not a fan.
Thank you so much to Christie from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures for hosting #BBQWeek, all of the other bloggers for their awesome recipes, and to our generous sponsors, Rainier Foods and Intensity Academy! Do not miss the opportunity to enter for your chance to win one of their prize packages using the link down below.
Lemon Blueberry Whoopie Pies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk 1 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl, toss blueberries and lemon zest with remaining 1 Tbsp. flour; gently fold into dough.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake until edges just begin to brown, 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheets 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until blended. Beat in honey, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread on bottoms of half the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
Welcome to the third annual #BBQWeek hosted by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures.
We are excited to have 15 bloggers sharing over 50 recipes this week as
we head toward grilling season. The amazing sponsors have donated some
great prizes for the #BBQWeek giveaway and you can check them out HERE and enter for your chance to win down below.
Friday #BBQWeek Recipes
Starters and Sides
- Cucumber, Corn and Tomato Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Deviled Egg Pasta Salad from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Elvis Old Fashioned from The Spiffy Cookie
- Grilled Chicken Wings (Three Ways!) from Sweet Beginnings
- Grilled Flatbreads from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Grilled Pineapple and Jalapeno Margarita Mocktail from Jen Around the World
- Spicy Parmesan-Garlic Wing Sauce from A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Baked Salmon in Foil from Art of Natural Living
- Blackberry Chicken Thighs from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Balsamic Honey Pork Tenderloin from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Spicy Hawaiian Ham Kabobs from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Cactus Candies from The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Blueberry Whoopie Pies from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Strawberry Cheesecake Dessert Tacos from Blogghetti
Thank you #BBQWeek sponsors Saucy Queen and Rainier Foods for donating the prizes for this event. The #BBQWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner are checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning.
Two (2) winners are selected at random from entries received. The prize packages are fulfilled by and sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. #BBQWeek bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household are not eligible to enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #BBQWeek posts or entries.