Skip to main content

Taco Stuffed Delicata Squash

I picked up some beautiful delicata squash at a local farm and I knew that I wanted to roast and stuff it. I started out by trimming the ends off the squash which gives it a nice flat base.  I sliced them in half longways and removed the seeds.

I laid them out on a sheet pan, drizzled them with olive oil and then sprinkled them with salt and pepper. I popped them in a 450 degree oven for 25 minutes, then started searching the fridge for something to stuff them with. 

I found half a bag of Ben's Ready Rice brown rice and quinoa blend.  I also had some leftover taco meat.  I grabbed salsa, sour cream, fiesta cheese and a fresh jalapeno. 

I spooned in some salsa, added the brown rice/quinoa, topped that with the meat and then popped it back into the oven for 10 more minutes. 

When the taco meat was heated through I sprinkled on some fiesta blend cheese and some jalapeno slices.  I served it with some sour cream and some additional salsa, but you could do guacamole if you're a fan. If you don't want the rice mixture you could also use some refried or black beans.

I love delicata because you can eat it peel and all but if you can't get it where you are you could always use spaghetti squash or butternut or even acorn squash. I froze the remaining portions in vacuum sealed bags to pop out whenever I need an easy meal.


Taco Stuffed Delicata Squash

Taco Stuffed Delicata Squash
Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal

Ingredients

  • 2 medium delicata squash
  • 1T olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 1/2 cup Ben's Ready Rice brown rice and quinoa
  • 1 to 2 cups leftover taco meat
  • 1/4 cup Fiesta blend cheese (this is a guestimate, I never measure cheese...)
  • Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa, sliced jalapenos, guacamole

Instructions

  1. Heat oven to 450. Slice ends off squash and then cut them longways in half. Place cut side up on sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Flip over and roast for 20 to 25 minutes.
  2. Flip and spoon salsa into squash. Top with brown rice/quinoa. Add taco meat. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle on cheese and bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
  3. Serve with sour cream, salsa, sliced jalapenos and guacamole if desired.

Recommended Products:

delicata, taco,
Dinner, lunch, leftovers
American


 

 





Comments

Inger said…
Yum! Yes, I usually load my delicata up with brown sugar so this would be much healthier too!

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Strawberry Pizzelles

Pizzelles are one of my favorite childhood cookies and I'm constantly looking for ways to put a new spin on them.  Since one of my favorite summer fruits is strawberries, I swapped out the vanilla in the original recipe with strawberry extract.  This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SummerDessertWeek !  I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. I also added some red food coloring to give it a pink hue, but you can skip that if you like.  I use a cookie scoop to portion out the batter, it keeps all the pizzelles the same size, plus it's quicker than using two spoons.   They're delicious as is but you can take them over the top by fashioning them into a cylinder which we like to call fauxnoli.  You can pipe them full of whipped cream or buttercream.  If you want to prepare everything in advance, store the pizzelle in an airtight container, and the filling in a pastry or zip top bag in the f