When my son was younger, I was always looking for fun treats to make for holidays and occasions. Back in 2011 I made Firecracker Floats from Taste of Home. My photography skills were not great and I also had an excited little boy dancing around waiting for his treat.
For years I've wanted to remake them but I actually had a hard time getting the Pop Rocks. While we were picking up the balloons to celebrate his high school graduation my husband spotted some at the checkout counter of the party store.
Super simple, you just layer scoops of ice cream in a glass alternating with the Pop Rocks, I used the Cotton Candy variety.
Slowly pour in the soda. The candy crackles and fizzes and as the soda mixes with the ice cream and candy it creates beautiful swirls of color. Thank you so much to the Taste of Home Kitchen for this super fun and festive recipe!
- 6 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 2 envelopes Pop Rocks - I used Cotton Candy
- 16oz chilled lemon-lime soda (I used Sprite)
- Place a scoop of ice cream in a tall glass; sprinkle with one-third of the candy.
- Repeat layers twice more.
- Top with soda. Serve immediately.
This post from 2013 has been updated with a new photo, text, and a printable recipe card.