Today, finally, was the last day of school for my son. Every year I make him a special treat to celebrate and this year I chose Chocolate Fudge Waffles from Handle the Heat. No changes at all to this one, except I did use the oil instead of butter.
I served them with ice cream and fun toppings. I have a Belgian style waffle iron (the Presto FlipSide) and I used about 1 cup of batter per waffle. I got 2 full size waffles and one half waffle. Thank you so much to Tessa at Handle the Heat for this fun recipe!
Chocolate Fudge Waffles
- 2 large eggs -- at room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (can also use 4T unsalted butter, melted & cooled)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chocolate mini-chips
- Ice Cream & assorted toppings
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Whisk together eggs, oil, and vanilla. Stir in buttermilk.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg and stir to combine. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spray waffle iron with nonstick spray or brush with butter.
- Add 1 cup of batter to iron and cook waffles according to your model's directions (mine cooked for 4 minutes).
- Serve warm with ice cream and toppings of your choice.