On a recent trip to Olive Garden, I tried the Lasagna Fritta. Fried pasta and cheeses, with two fantastic sauces. Few chain restaurant dishes stick with me, but I had a hard time getting this one out of my mind. I decided I wanted to recreate it at home, but instead of an appetizer portion, I wanted dinner size.
It's a little fidgety, but once you get an assembly line process going, it's pretty smooth. I used pre-shredded/grated cheeses, you are more than welcome to shred your own. I also used store bought marinara and alfredo, but it would be over-the-top fantastic with from-scratch sauces.
This was a huge hit here. While it's not something that I'd make weekly, it was a fun way to present lasagna to my picky eater, who doesn't like a lot of red sauce. Since there are only 3 of us, I froze the remaining fried bundles in single serve portions. They can be heated from frozen, or defrosted in the fridge overnight. Enjoy!
Copycat Olive Garden Fried Lasagna
- 32oz whole milk ricotta
- 2c shredded mozzarella
- 2 5oz containers shredded 3 cheese blend (I used Frigo Parmesan, Romano and Asiago- pulsed in food processor)
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1T Italian seasoning (I like Penzey's Italian Herb Mix)
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- 2 eggs
- 8oz panko crumbs
- 1t Italian seasoning
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 15 oz jar alfredo sauce, (I used Newman's Own)
- 15oz jar marinara (again, Newman's Own)
- Combine ricotta, mozzarella, 5oz Parm/Romano/Asiago blend, eggs and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
- Boil noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water. Cut off ribboned edges with a knife or pizza cutter.
- Spread each noodle with the cheese mixture. Fold one end in about 2", then again. On the last fold, there should be a little extra, push that piece around the back. Place on baking sheet with the little tab facing down. Repeat with remaining noodles. (I got 16) Place baking sheet into freezer for 1 hour. Remove them 15 minutes before you will fry them.
- In one shallow pan, beat eggs. In another, combine panko crumbs, half the second container of 3 cheese blend and Italian seasoning. Heat oil to 375. Dip lasagna bundles into the beaten egg and then coat with crumb mixture. Return to baking sheet and repeat with remaining bundles.
- Fry 2 to 3 bundles at a time, until both sides are golden brown. Place on paper towels or a baking rack on a half sheet pan to drain. Keep warm in 200 degree oven if necessary.
- To serve- heat alfredo and marinara sauces. Place 2 bundles on plate, and ladle a ribbon of alfredo sauce over the top. Repeat with the marinara. Sprinkle with 3 cheese blend and Italian seasoning, if desired.
main dishes, lasagna, copycat
Created using The Recipes Generator