Skip to main content

Copycat Olive Garden Fried Lasagna

On a recent trip to Olive Garden, I tried the Lasagna Fritta.   Fried pasta and cheeses, with two fantastic sauces.    Few chain restaurant dishes stick with me, but I had a hard time getting this one out of my mind.   I decided I wanted to recreate it at home, but instead of an appetizer portion, I wanted dinner size.   

It's a little fidgety, but once you get an assembly line process going, it's pretty smooth.   I used pre-shredded/grated cheeses, you are more than welcome to shred your own.   I also used store bought marinara and alfredo, but it would be over-the-top fantastic with from-scratch sauces.

This was a huge hit here.   While it's not something that I'd make weekly, it was a fun way to present lasagna to my picky eater, who doesn't like a lot of red sauce.  Since there are only 3 of us, I froze the remaining fried bundles in single serve portions.   They can be heated from frozen, or defrosted in the fridge overnight.    Enjoy! 


Fried Lasagna

Fried Lasagna
Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal

Ingredients

  • 32oz whole milk ricotta
  • 2c shredded mozzarella
  • 2 5oz containers shredded 3 cheese blend (I used Frigo Parmesan, Romano and Asiago- pulsed in food processor)
  • 2 eggs, room temp
  • 1T Italian seasoning (I like Penzey's Italian Herb Mix)
  • 1 box lasagna noodles
  • 2 eggs
  • 8oz panko crumbs
  • 1t Italian seasoning
  • Vegetable oil for frying
  • 15 oz jar alfredo sauce, (I used Newman's Own)
  • 15oz jar marinara (again, Newman's Own)

Instructions

  1. Combine ricotta, mozzarella, 5oz Parm/Romano/Asiago blend, eggs and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
  2. Boil noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water. Cut off ribboned edges with a knife or pizza cutter.
  3. Spread each noodle with the cheese mixture. Fold one end in about 2", then again. On the last fold, there should be a little extra, push that piece around the back. Place on baking sheet with the little tab facing down. Repeat with remaining noodles. (I got 16) Place baking sheet into freezer for 1 hour. Remove them 15 minutes before you will fry them.
  4. In one shallow pan, beat eggs. In another, combine panko crumbs, half the second container of 3 cheese blend and Italian seasoning. Heat oil to 375. Dip lasagna bundles into the beaten egg and then coat with crumb mixture. Return to baking sheet and repeat with remaining bundles.
  5. Fry 2 to 3 bundles at a time, until both sides are golden brown. Place on paper towels or a baking rack on a half sheet pan to drain. Keep warm in 200 degree oven if necessary.
  6. To serve- heat alfredo and marinara sauces. Place 2 bundles on plate, and ladle a ribbon of alfredo sauce over the top. Repeat with the marinara. Sprinkle with 3 cheese blend and Italian seasoning, if desired.
  7. Yield- Approximately 16 bundles. Serves 8.
main dishes, lasagna, copycat
main dishes
American

 


 
This recipe was featured in Taste of Home magazine, I won grand prize for their Copycat Restaurant Favorites contest!



Comments

  1. Holy smokes.. Yes please! Sharing and defiantly making VERY soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds delicious ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a huge lasagna fan, but if it was made like this, I'd devour it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wanted a recipe explaining how to make this recipe. I'm so excited to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG this looks sooooo good!! I'd love some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! What a great copycat recipe. Love lasagna and love it fried up too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Back in the day I used to bake from home for extra money.  This was one of the most popular items.  Cake mix sizes have changed and if you're using the 15.75 ounce ones bake them in 8" pans. If you want to use the 9" rounds, you can also use this cake mix upsizer to make up the difference between the old and new cake mix sizes.  If the layers are too thin, you'll never be able to flip and stack them without a mess. Be sure to keep track of which pan has the pineapple rings and cherries in it and which doesn't so that you can easily turn them out onto the plate in the right order.    Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained 1/2 stick butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 8 ounce can pineapple slices 8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice 1 package yellow cake mix (15.75 ounces) Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter and coat the