I made zero changes to this recipe. I used a cookie scoop to get uniform balls. The base cookie isn't very sweet, but is balanced nicely with the icing. You could easily change up the extracts if you wanted to. Thank you so much to Weda M for the recipe!
Tender Italian Sugar Cookies
Yield: 3 dozen
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter -- melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Food coloring and coarse sugar -- optional
How to cook Tender Italian Sugar Cookies
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine the milk, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Tint with food coloring if desired. Dip the tops of cookies in icing; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
- Originally published as Tender Italian Sugar Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p11
- Source: "http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tender-italian-sugar-cookies"
Italian cookies, sugar cookies
Cookies, dessert, holiday
Created using The Recipes Generator
Welcome to the 12 Days of Cookies, hosted by Family Around the Table and Cooking With Carlee. We will be filling the season with all kinds of delicious cookies. Be sure to check out some of the recipes below or you can follow along on Facebook or Twitter by searching #ChristmasCookies. We also have a 12 Days of Cookies Pinterest board where you can see all of the goodness! May your holidays be sweet!
Chocolate Mint Thumbrints from The Freshman Cook
Clint's Favorite Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies from Cooking With Carlee
Lemon Sprinkles from A Palatable Pastime
Mocha Drop Cookies from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
Peanut Butter Truffle Cookies from Family Around the Table
Pebber Nodder from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Spritz Cookies from The Chef Next Door
Tender Italian Sugar Cookies from Jolene's Recipe Journal