Skip to main content

Easy Citrus Ham

Easter was a HUGE holiday growing up in my Italian family.   As years went on, we got away from the big gathering and spent it more casually, like taking a ride to the beach and having a picnic.   We do enjoy Easter dishes though, so at some point in April I'll make a ham and sides.

I got a great deal on a bone-in spiral ham, and ran across this recipe on the Taste of Home site.  Using the slow cooker was great, freed up the oven.   We like a sweet glaze on our ham, and this was sweet without being overly so.    The crystallized ginger is what really puts it over the top, gives it a little 'warmth" without being spicy.   Thanks so much to Sheila C for sharing her recipe!

This week, thirteen bloggers are sharing 46 recipes and tips to help you serve up deliciousness this Easter.  Follow #EasterRecipes on social media to see what we're serving up!  Scroll to the bottom of the post to see what other amazing dishes are being shared today!



                 
* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Easy Citrus Ham

  1                     boneless fully cooked ham (3 to 4 pounds)- used bone in spiral
     1/2           cup  packed dark brown sugar
  1                can  lemon-lime soda -- (12 ounces) divided- used Sprite
  1             medium  navel orange -- thinly sliced
  1             medium  lemon -- thinly sliced
  1             medium  lime -- thinly sliced
  1         tablespoon  chopped crystallized ginger

 Cut ham in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and 1/4 cup soda; rub over ham. Top with orange, lemon and lime slices. Add candied ginger and remaining soda to the slow cooker.

    Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 140°, basting occasionally with cooking juices. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 10-12 servings.

Originally published as Easy Citrus Ham in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2011, p48

Source: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/easy-citrus-ham


Monday


Comments

  1. This sounds amazing and I love that it leaves the oven space for everything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention, it could be snowing or 80 degrees in April here in New England- nice to not have to run the stove in case of power outage or heatwave :)

      Delete
  2. I love the citrus flavors. I normally use Vernors (a ginger ale made in Michigan) for the liquid in my ham but I can see how the citrus drink would work as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My college roommate was from Michigan and she always talked about Vernors!

      Delete
  3. We love ham and the citrus flavors in this recipe sound amazing. I've never made a ham in the slow cooker. Always love freeing up the oven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made a ham with orange before, but really loved the addition of the lemon and lime to this!

      Delete
  4. I love that this is made in the slow cooker! The oven is a busy spot on Easter so this works out nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More room in the oven for desserts, we always seem to have 3 times as many of those as we do anything else :)

      Delete
  5. I could easily use the splenda brown sugar and sugar free sprite to reduce the sugar for my diabetic hubby and still enjoy this light and fruity glaze! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I've baked with the Splenda brown sugar for my dad and have had great success with it.

      Delete
  6. Yum! That looks amazing! I love ham!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son can take it or leave it, but he went back for 3rds of this one, so definitely a winner here!

      Delete
  7. I am no good at ham glazes. I always wind up burning them or completely forgetting about them. I definitely have to try yours. Maybe I'll have luck this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first ham ever I used the glaze packet that came with the ham, forgot to set the timer and got distracted. We ended up having grilled cheese for dinner, oops!

      Delete
  8. Love using the slow cooker to make life easier. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't use mine enough, I need to change that!

      Delete
  9. Ham is already a great Easter recipe, but I think using the citrus makes it that much more Spring-y!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially here in New England where we can still be looking at snow while we have Easter dinner- nothing like some colorful citrus to brighten my mood!

      Delete
  10. I'm intrigued with the Sprite with the ham! I'm going to have to try this with ours! Thanks for linking the recipe up on the #Celebrate365 Easter Recipes Blog Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for hosting!

      Delete
    2. Thanks again for linking up your recipe on the Celebrate 365 Easter Recipes Blog Party - I included your post in my round-up recap: http://www.cornbeanspigskids.com/2018/03/make-ahead-easter-dinner-recipes.html.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much! I'll be sure to share it :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Back in the day I used to bake from home for extra money.  This was one of the most popular items.  Cake mix sizes have changed and if you're using the 15.75 ounce ones bake them in 8" pans. If you want to use the 9" rounds, you can also use this cake mix upsizer to make up the difference between the old and new cake mix sizes.  If the layers are too thin, you'll never be able to flip and stack them without a mess. Be sure to keep track of which pan has the pineapple rings and cherries in it and which doesn't so that you can easily turn them out onto the plate in the right order.    Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained 1/2 stick butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 8 ounce can pineapple slices 8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice 1 package yellow cake mix (15.75 ounces) Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter and coat the