So excited to be able to participate in April's #Fill the Cookie Jar! The theme is "spring", and I chose this recipe from the Taste of Home 100 Family Meals cookbook. I hit the store, but the shopping gods were not with me. I wanted the Spring or Peeps Oreos, no luck. I looked the other choices over and went with Golden Oreos instead. The seasonal candy aisle was loaded with M&Ms- dark chocolate, milk, chocolate, white chocolate, minis! I grabbed a bag of the minis, because I like those best in baked goods. I knew I'd have to empty all the little bags, but no big deal.
Fast forward to the weekend. I get out all the ingredients and set about dumping all the little bags into a bowl. Hmmm. Despite the Easter packaging, the M&Ms were regular colored. Mother Nature had decided to drop an April Fool's joke of plowable snow on us, so the store was out of the question. I did what any other person under a spring cookie challenge would do- I sat and sorted out the most "spring-like" colors into one bowl, and everything else into another LOL
The rest of the recipe went without a hitch. I did decrease the vanilla to 1 teaspoon. I used the baking soda and salt. I love recipes that call for melted butter, because I never remember to pull it out to "soften". Next time I'd double the recipe, 8x8 goes way too fast around here. Thanks so much to Averie S for sharing her recipe!
Loaded M&M Oreo Cookie Bars
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter -- melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 18 Golden Oreo cookies -- coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate M&M's minis
How to cook Loaded M&M Oreo Cookie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8-in.-square baking pan with foil, letting ends extend up sides of pan; grease foil.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg, brown sugar, butter and vanilla until blended. If desired, mix flour with baking soda and salt; add to brown sugar mixture. Stir in cookies.
- Spread into prepared pan; sprinkle with M&M's. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Lifting with foil, remove from pan. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 9 servings.
- Source: "http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/loaded-m-m-oreo-cookie-bars"
As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a small commission at no cost to you with qualifying purchases.
cookies, bars, oreo, M&Ms
Dessert, cookies, bars
Created using The Recipes Generator
- Blueberry/Lemon Macaroons by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Carrot Oatmeal Cookies by Join Us Pull Up A Chair
- Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chips Cookies by Making Miracles
- Chocolate Chip Bunny Cookie Pops by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Honeybee Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Koulourakia: Greek Easter Cookies by That Recipe
- Lemon Butter Cookies by Marlys This and That
- Loaded Oreo M&M Cookie Bars by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- No Bake Bird's Nest Cookies by Making Memories with your Kids
- Spring Garden Malted Milk Blondies by Famished Fish, Finicky Shark