I have a problem- whenever I make mashed potatoes, I make enough for an army. That would be ok, if anyone ate them in leftover form besides me. To reel the guys back in, I do what I do with anything I want them to eat without complaint- bread it and fry it!
I searched the Taste of Home site and found this recipe for Loaded Stuffed Potato Pancakes. I omitted the salt from the potato mixture, I'd rather sprinkle it on after frying. I used a small cookie scoop for the cream cheese, then molded the potatoes around by hand and flattened them in the crumbs.
The only thing I'd do next time would be add some bacon to the potato mixture, because what isn't better with bacon? I served them with some sour cream on the side, but it was totally unnecessary. Crispy crunchy coating, delicious mashed potato and then that surprise cream cheese inside. Thank you so much to Jane W for this awesome recipe!
Loaded Stuffed Potato Pancakes
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg -- lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup cream cheese -- softened
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne.
- Shape 2 teaspoons cream cheese into a ball. Wrap 1/4 cup of potato mixture around cream cheese to cover completely. Drop into crumb mixture. Gently coat and shape into a 1/2-in.-thick patty. Repeat with remaining cream cheese and potato mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry stuffed pancakes, a few at a time, 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 8 potato pancakes.
Need to give those #EasterLeftovers another lease on life? Get some
inspiration from all the leftover recipes being shared today:
- Ham, Pea and Onion Risotto from Family around the Table
- Macaroni and Cheese with Ham from Palatable Pastime
- Jelly Bean Cookies from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Deviled Ham and Egg Salad from Cooking with Carlee
- Loaded Stuffed Potato Pancakes from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Leftover Lamb Pasta Sauce with Eggplant from Caroline's Cooking