The use of the pudding mix was interesting, and I'm always looking for ways to justify my pudding and gelatin collection. The french toast cooked up so golden and beautiful, and then into the cinnamon sugar mix.
I searched high and low for the Dulce du Leche. No luck. People recommended the can of sweetened condensed milk in the crock pot method (The manufacturers strongly advise against that), or told me to reduce it on the stove. In the end, my husband saved the day by bringing home a can of Eagle Caramel Flavored Sweetened Condensed milk. It's probably bad that I know no such a thing exists, because I've now plotted about 15 more uses for it. It put that delicious french toast right over the top, but be warned, a little goes a long way! Thank you to Kelli S for the recipe!
Check out the links below for even more fantastic #MexicanRecipes being shared this week!
* Exported from MasterCook *
Churro French Toast
5 lg egg yolks
2 1/4 cups 2% milk
1 package cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon -- divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
12 slices French bread (1-1/4-inch thick)
13.4 oz can dulce de leche -- warmed, optional- Used Eagle brand caramel flavored sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons water -- optional
In a shallow bowl, whisk egg yolks, milk, pudding mix, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and salt until blended. In another shallow bowl, whisk sugar and remaining cinnamon.
Lightly grease a griddle; heat over medium heat. Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture. Place on griddle; toast 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Dip in cinnamon sugar. If desired, mix dulce de leche and water; drizzle over toast.
Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Churro French Toast in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2016, p51
Happy #MexicanRecipes Let’s have a fiesta of Cinco de Mayo inspired recipes all week
- Papusas de Queso from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mexican Restaurant Rice from Palatable Pastime
- Enchiladas to Feed a Crowd from Tip Garden
- Mexican Street Corn Barley Salad from Cooking With Carlee
- Conchas (Mexican Sweet Bread) from Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Avocado Paletas (Mexican Avocado Ice Pops) from Caroline's Cooking
- Churro French Toast from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Beef Tacos from Books n' Cooks
- Easy Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms, Mexican Style from Feeding Big
- One Pan Chicken Enchilada Rice Bake from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Mexican Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas from All that's Jas
Are you a food blogger interested in posting within our blogging community? Find out more by joining us online: Holiday Fun with Our Blog Friends.
Shared with the Weekend Potluck #272