**This is a sponsored post. I received products to use in recipes for this event. All opinions are my own.**
A few years back, I pushed myself out of my comfort zone with an Apple Cider Beef Stew, and it was a huge hit. Could I possibly do it again? I went back and forth between a chili and a stew several times before I finally chose the stew. Things got a little hectic, the weather shifted on me, and suddenly I found myself, down to the wire, trying to get it together.
First, I totally missed the direction to peel the apples. I don't mind though, it gives it a nice color. I also missed that despite having a spice collection of ginormous proportions, I do not have caraway seeds. I used dried parsley, and made a note to start planning my herb garden for 2018.
Apple Chicken Stew
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds (omitted)
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, about 4 medium, cut into 3/4" pieces
- 4 carrots, medium, cut into 3/4" pieces
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 celery, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large tart apple, peeled
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups apple cider or juice
- For garnish
- Minced fresh parsley
- Mix first four ingredients. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer vegetables; sprinkle with half of the salt mixture.
- Toss chicken with oil and remaining salt mixture. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken in batches. Add to slow cooker.
- Top with bay leaf and apple. Add vinegar and cider. Cook, covered, on high until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
- Discard bay leaf. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with parsley.
Yield: 8 servings.
apple, vegetables, chicken, stew
Main Dishes, Slow cooker, Poultry
Created using The Recipes Generator
Apfelstrudel Recipe (Apple Strudel from Scratch) from House of Nash Eats
Apple and Onion Cornbread from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Apple Butter Cheesecake from The Redhead Baker
Apple Chicken Stew from Jolene's Recipe Journal
Apple Cider Dark & Stormy from The Crumby Kitchen
Apple Mincemeat Pie from Palatable Pastime
Apple Pie Bread from Sew You Think You Can Cook
Apple Praline Bread from Family Around the Table
Apple Stuffing Crusted Pork Chops from Caroline's Cooking
Battered Chocolate Caramel Apple Slices from The Freshman Cook
Caramel Apple Pull Apart Bread from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
Apple Crack Slaw Eggrolls from Dad What's 4 Dinner
Cinnamon Apple Donuts from Daily Dish Recipes
Diminutive Caramel Apples from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Easy Caramel Apple Butter from Grumpy's Honeybunch
Fast and Easy Peanut Butter Yogurt Fruit Dip from Cooking With Carlee
Mom's Apple Cake from Books n' Cooks
Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins from Amy's Cooking Adventures
Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples from Simple and Savory
Savory Apple Turkey Brie Galette from Bear & Bug Eats
Swiss Vegetarian Autumn Lasagna With Apples & Squash from All That's Jas
A wonderful fall meal. Perfect for cooler weather.ReplyDelete
Jolene you and I must be soul sisters. Every recipe you write appeals to me.ReplyDelete
What a perfect fall dinner. I'd love to come home to a bowlful.ReplyDelete