Slowly, but surely, I am conquering my fear of yeast! I've had a copy of this recipe in my to-try binder for what seems like forever. When I was planning my #AppleWeek out, I decided it was time to just do it. I chose a relatively warm, no-plans-to-go-anywhere Saturday, and hoped for the best.
The first rise went great, and I was cautiously optimistic. So did the second, and I was dancing around the kitchen. It baked up beautifully too. Success! We all loved it, and I definitely will make it again using different pie filling flavors.
Be sure to check out all the other amazing #AppleWeek recipes using the links down below!
Apple Yeast Coffee Cake
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast (1/4oz)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 stick butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 can apple pie filling, 21 oz
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons half and half
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Beat in eggs until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes. Stir dough down and spoon two-thirds into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Top with pie filling.
- Drop remaining dough by tablespoonfuls over pie filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Place pan on a wire rack. Combine the confectioners' sugar, extract and enough half and half to achieve a drizzling consistency; drizzle over warm coffee cake.
Apples, coffee cake
Dessert, breakfast, brunch
Did you make this recipe?
Tag@jolenemartinelli @jolenemartinelli on instagram and hashtag it #JolenesRecipeJournal #JolenesRecipeJournal
Created using The Recipes Generator
Appelflappen from Palatable Pastime
Apple Butter Cream Cheese Spread from Tip Garden
Apple Cinnamon Roll Pie from Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Apple Cranberry Galettes with Caramel Drizzle from Family Around the Table
Apple Oat Quick Bread with Caramel Sauce from The Chef Next Door
Apple Yeast Coffee Cake from Jolene's Recipe Journal
Easiest Ever Applesauce from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Grilled Apple Butter Pork Tenderloin from Books n' Cooks
Grilled Veggie Tacos with Apple Pico de Gallo from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Honeycrisp and Gouda Grilled Cheese from The Redhead Baker
Italian Apple and Fig Polenta Torta from All That's Jas
Molasses-Mustard Glazed Pork Chops with Apple Butter from Sew You Think You Can Cook
Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Apples from House of Nash Eats
Roasted Pork with Apple Puree from Simple and Savory
Savory Apple Bacon Pizza from Cooking With Carlee
Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Roast From Amy's Cooking Adventures
Apple is one of my favorite fillings! This yeast coffee cake looks so yummy! I used to be afraid of yeast too! It does get easier.ReplyDelete
That looks positively delicious! Can't wait to try it.ReplyDelete
Oh my YUM....Jolene, I love the idea of a yeast coffee cake.ReplyDelete
I was hesitant to work with yeast too until a few years ago. Now I have a sourdough starter and buy yeast in the pound packages rather than the packets :-) What can I say? I like to knead! This looks fabulous and I can't wait to try it!ReplyDelete