Skip to main content

Citrus Tarragon Asparagus Salad

It makes me so happy when I can get good produce here in March.   After 3 huge snowstorms in a row, I needed a little taste of spring, so when I saw fresh asparagus at the grocery store, I grabbed it.

I used this recipe from Cheryl M. as a jumping off point. I prefer my asparagus roasted rather than steamed or boiled, so I prepped all the veggies and laid them out on a sheet pan.  I drizzled them with a little olive oil, then tossed them around to make sure that they were all covered nicely.   I roasted them at 400 for about 15 minutes, my stalks were very thin. Thicker ones might need a bit longer.

I couldn't get fresh shallots or tarragon, so I used dried for both.  I made the dressing ahead so that the shallots could rehydrate while I roasted the asparagus.  The orginal recipe calls for white balsamic, and I only had the traditional type on hand.  I love the little hint of orange, and being a New England girl, I might substitute maple syrup for the honey when I make it again.  This is a fantastic starter or side, and you definitely could make it a meal by adding some grilled chicken, thinly sliced grilled steak, or your favorite protein.
Thank you so much to Christie for hosting Easter Week, and to all the other #FestiveFoodies for sharing their #EasterRecipes! Be sure to check out the links at the bottom of the post and check back throughout the week for even more amazing recipes!





Citrus Tarragon Asparagus Salad

Author:

ingredients:

  • 3 sweet red and yellow bell peppers
  • 3 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
Dressing
  • 1 teaspoon dried shallots
  • 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons grated orange peel
  • 1 tablespoons dried tarragon
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2/3 cup olive oil

instructions:

  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut peppers into 1/4-in.-wide strips and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Add asparagus, and drizzle everything with 2t olive oil. Turn to make sure everything is coated, then spread into a single layer. Roast for approximately 15 minutes, until crisp/tender. Place in serving dish.
  2. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk vinegar, orange peel, dried shallots, dried tarragon, honey, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in oil until blended. Drizzle over asparagus mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate up to 4 hours before serving, stirring occasionally. Yield: 12 servings.
  3. Source: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/citrus-tarragon-asparagus-salad
Created using The Recipes Generator


Wednesday Easter Week Recipes

Braised Rabbit with Fennel and Salsa Verde by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Carrot Cake Cheesecake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Carrot Patch Chocolate Cupcakes by The Redhead Baker
Citrus Tarragon Asparagus Salad by Jolene's Recipe Journal
Easy Easter Candy Bark by Daily Dish Recipes
Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
Horseradish Deviled Eggs by Everyday Eileen
Individual Warm Chocolate Truffle Cakes by Family Around the Table
Lemon Coconut Bars by Cookaholic Wife
Pancetta Brussels Sprouts by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
Pineapple Carrot Cake Cupcakes by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Polish White Borscht - Bialy Barszcz by All that's Jas
Turkey Ham Potato Chowder by Cindy's Recipes and Writings



Comments

Camilla M. Mann said…
I can't wait to try this. I have 2 pounds of asparagus just waiting for inspiration. Done.
Val said…
The flavor combination in this salad sounds perfect for Spring! Thanks for sharing on the Celebrate 365 Blog Party!
Such a colorful addition to the Easter Feast. I love this beautiful salad.
Unknown said…
Perfect veggies for spring and Easter!
Jolene said…
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Jolene said…
Thank you so much for hosting! I've pinned so many great recipes already!
Jolene said…
It really helps boost the spirits when there's still lots of snow outside :)
Jolene said…
I'm so looking forward to the farms opening up this year!
I love all the fresh flavors in this salad! I always look so forward to asparagus season.

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Strawberry Pizzelles

Pizzelles are one of my favorite childhood cookies and I'm constantly looking for ways to put a new spin on them.  Since one of my favorite summer fruits is strawberries, I swapped out the vanilla in the original recipe with strawberry extract.  This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SummerDessertWeek !  I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. I also added some red food coloring to give it a pink hue, but you can skip that if you like.  I use a cookie scoop to portion out the batter, it keeps all the pizzelles the same size, plus it's quicker than using two spoons.   They're delicious as is but you can take them over the top by fashioning them into a cylinder which we like to call fauxnoli.  You can pipe them full of whipped cream or buttercream.  If you want to prepare everything in advance, store the pizzelle in an airtight container, and the filling in a pastry or zip top bag in the f