Skip to main content

Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Did you know that April is National Garlic Month?  We're huge fans, so we celebrate it every month at my house.  This month I decided I wanted to try and use it with one of my new favorite vegetables, brussels sprouts.  I wasn't a complete veggie hater growing up, but I definitely stuck to ordinary things like corn and carrots.  I turned my nose up at aspagaragus, broccoli and brussels sprouts until a few years ago, when I discovered how amazing vegetables are when you roast them.   They get even more amazing when you add garlic as they're roasting!

Sadly, I'm the only one who will eat brussels sprouts, so I halved the recipe, and used 4 cloves of garlic.   The house smelled so good, I could hardly wait for dinner!  I like for some of them to get really crispy brown edges, so I let mine go the full 25 minutes.   It definitely wouldn't be terrible to add some cooked applewood smoked bacon to them either.   Thank you to Katherine M-C. for sharing her recipe!

Huge thanks also to Caroline from Caroline's Cooking for hosting, and to all the #FoodieExtravaganza friends for sharing their recipes, check them out using the links at the bottom of the page!


Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts

ingredients:

  • 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 1 medium red onion, large dice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 425°.
  2. Place Brussels sprouts and onions on a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pans.
  3. In a small bowl, mix oil, garlic, salt and pepper; drizzle mixture over the vegetables and toss to coat.
  4. Roast 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Yield: 6 servings (1/2 cup each).
Slightly adapted from: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/garlic-roasted-brussels-sprouts
brussels sprouts, roasted
Vegetables, side dishes
American
Created using The Recipes Generator

Foodie Extravaganza celebrates obscure food holidays, and we all post recipes using the same ingredient. Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you!  Today we're sharing our love of garlic for Foodie Extravaganza - see all the tasty recipe ideas below:



Comments

  1. Brussels sprouts are one of our favorites, especially roasted and garlic always makes good food...great food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bag of brussel sprout in my fridge right now- and a regular onion, not red, but plenty of garlic- this is happening tonight I think- looks right up our alley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the Brussels Sprouts. It wasn't until roasting that I enjoyed them either. Time was, I boiled the bejeezuss out of them then buried them in as much cheese sauce as possible. My cats used to stare wondering what on earth I was burying, and then eating. They were pale green, mushy and except for the cheese sauce smelled like death. The old "boiling vegetables to the point of soup" really was abusive. Then I roasted them and have been happy ever since. It's not even the same veggie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every veggie was canned and cooked to mush growing up, and it's taken me a while to be brave enough to try some of them again :)

      Delete
  4. Brussels sprouts are definitely better roasted and like the idea of adding garlic as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also made a dish with them shaved and pan sauteed that was good. But roasting is definitely my favorite way!

      Delete
  5. I knew I was gonna like this dish, just from the title. You have not let me down, Jolene! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's so easy, both to prep and to clean up!

      Delete
  6. We love roasted Brussels sprouts. I can't wait to try your version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband loves brussels sprouts. I hated them until I discovered roasted ones too. This recipe will be appearing in my house very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of my guys are serious veggie haters, but I keep on trying :) I probably didn't help foster a love for brussels sprouts with my son since I chocolate covered them for April Fools and told him it was a cake pop ;)

      Delete
  8. Love Brussels sprouts, not had them for a long time, but your dish looks super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just sorry it took me as long as it did to discover how great they are!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Back in the day I used to bake from home for extra money.  This was one of the most popular items.  Cake mix sizes have changed and if you're using the 15.75 ounce ones bake them in 8" pans. If you want to use the 9" rounds, you can also use this cake mix upsizer to make up the difference between the old and new cake mix sizes.  If the layers are too thin, you'll never be able to flip and stack them without a mess. Be sure to keep track of which pan has the pineapple rings and cherries in it and which doesn't so that you can easily turn them out onto the plate in the right order.    Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained 1/2 stick butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 8 ounce can pineapple slices 8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice 1 package yellow cake mix (15.75 ounces) Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter and coat the