There's nothing my guys love more than a good burger! They're pretty much a weekly staple from May until the snow gets too deep that I can't get to the grill anymore :) I love finding new things to add as toppings or to the meat to change them up. These All American Hamburgers from Taste of Home have great flavor and use simple ingredients that I always have on hand. Sometimes I substitute dried minced onion for the fresh. I have a square burger press that I love, and makes perfectly even patties. The key is really take care and not overwork the patties, and once you've got them on the grill, resist the urge to smush them with the spatula, or to flip them excessively.
I cook them for 2 to 3 minutes, rotate them a quarter turn, then cook them for 2 to 3 more. Flip, and repeat, adding the cheese after the that last rotation. I personally go with just cheddar on mine, the guys like both American and cheddar on theirs. The toppings vary wildly depending on our moods. Sometimes it's just ketchup. Other times I crisp up some bacon. I love good heirloom tomatoes and crisp green lettuce. You really just can't go wrong with this one, thanks so much to Diane H. for sharing her recipe!
All American Hamburgers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 4 slices process American cheese or cheddar cheese, halved diagonally
- 2 slices Swiss cheese, halved diagonally (omitted)
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Lettuce leaves, sliced tomato and onion, cooked bacon strips, ketchup and mustard, optional
How to cook All American Hamburgers
- Combine first five ingredients, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four patties. Grill burgers, covered, on a greased rack over medium direct heat until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear, about 6 minutes on each side.
- During the last minute of cooking, top each patty with two triangles of American cheese and one triangle of Swiss cheese. Serve on buns; if desired, top with lettuce, tomato, onion, bacon, ketchup or mustard.
- Yield: 4 servings.
- Source: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/all-american-hamburgers
ground beef, burgers, grilling, bacon
Burgers, Main Dishes,
Created using The Recipes Generator
See what the bloggers served up Thursday for #BBQWeek
All American Hamburgers by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Charred Grapefruit Gin & Tonic by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Simple and Easy Hobo Packets for the Family by Corn, Beans, Pigs & Kids
Mini Tri Tip Sandwiches by The Freshman Cook
Spicy Tomato and Corn Salad by Karen's Kitchen Stories
Summer BBQ Bacon Potato Salad by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
When Pigs Fly: Smoky BBQ Hog Wings by Palatable Pastime