Skip to main content

Brown Sugar Oat Muffins

We are huge muffin fans in this house, but my guys tend to like the same variety over and over again. I marked this recipe for Brown Sugar Oat Muffins to try back when my husband went through a brief phase of wanting to eat oatmeal from scratch, and had bought 2 giant canisters of oats.  They've been complaining about the lack of baked goods in the house, so I pulled out the recipe this weekend.

Just a few minor changes to this one.  I used whole milk instead of 2%, it's what we had on hand this week.  I used caramel extract instead of vanilla. I scooped the first 6 muffins, and then I added blueberries from our bushes to the second half of the batter.  I got 10 muffins, but I fill the cup the whole way instead of 2/3rds.

Mine did take about 3 or 4 minutes longer to bake due to them being more full.  No big deal.  I taste-tested half of each kind, with blueberries and without.  Both were awesome. I really think you could add any fruit you like, or even mini chocolate chips. It made for a perfect breakfast out on the patio. Thank you so much to Regina S. for sharing her recipe!

#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.  Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page. Thanks so much to Stacy for hosting and to all the other awesome bloggers who shared recipes today!


Brown Sugar Oat Muffins


Brown Sugar Oat Muffins

ingredients:

  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup 2% milk (used whole)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (used caramel extract)

instructions:

  1. In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
  2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Slightly adapted from: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/brown-sugar-oat-muffins
brown sugar, oats, muffins
Muffins, breakfast, dessert, snacks
American
Created using The Recipes Generator
    Muffin Monday


    Comments

    1. Ooooh, loving the addition of oats, Jolene! And I am jealous that you have your own blueberry bushes!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I had to do something with them, they were taking up valuable cabinet space when hubby abandoned his "eat healthier" phase :)

        Delete
    2. They look delicious. I"ll have one with blueberries please.

      ReplyDelete
    3. These sure look delicious! I can't believe you have your own blueberry bush!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm very lucky! My grandmother had almost 150 bushes, my dad took 14 to his house when they built it. He gave me 4 of those for our new home this spring :) Small yield this year, but still pretty awesome to walk in my yard and pick a handful!

        Delete
    4. "blueberries from our bushes..." she casually says. Jealous!! These sound yummy and a great way to use up some of that oatmeal overstock.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I know it will sound totally greedy, but I wish I had enough to make a whole batch of muffins or a pie LOL But in reality, we moved them at an iffy time, so I'm just happy for what I'm getting :)

        Delete

    Post a Comment

    Popular posts from this blog

    Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

    I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

    Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

    Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

    Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake

    Back in the day I used to bake from home for extra money.  This was one of the most popular items.  Cake mix sizes have changed and if you're using the 15.75 ounce ones bake them in 8" pans. If you want to use the 9" rounds, you can also use this cake mix upsizer to make up the difference between the old and new cake mix sizes.  If the layers are too thin, you'll never be able to flip and stack them without a mess. Be sure to keep track of which pan has the pineapple rings and cherries in it and which doesn't so that you can easily turn them out onto the plate in the right order.    Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained 1/2 stick butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 8 ounce can pineapple slices 8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice 1 package yellow cake mix (15.75 ounces) Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter and coat the