Skip to main content

Caramelized Baked Custards

One of the things I love most about blogging is how it inspires creativity, and forces me out of my cooking comfort zone. When Camilla from Culinary Adventures with Camilla suggested that the #FestiveFoodies make dishes for Bastille Day, I hesitated.  French food is not something I really cook or eat often.  But then I remembered how my guys bought me a kitchen torch for Christmas, still sitting unopened in the package, and I thought, "What a great excuse to make creme brulee!"

I searched through lots of recipes, and these Caramelized Baked Custards seemed like the perfect starter recipe.  We've always got Bailey's on hand, and all of the other ingredients are pantry staples too.  These come together easily, and my tip to you would be to beat the eggs and sugar in a 4 cup glass measuring cup (like Pyrex).   That makes it much easier to pour the custard into the ramekins rather than out of a bowl.

My ramekins were only 4oz, so they took a little closer to 25 minutes.  There's just something awesome about using fire to finish a dessert, but go ahead and pop them under the broiler if you don't have a torch.  I absolutely loved the delicious caramelized sugar on top, and the smooth, creamy custard underneath.   Thank you so much to Joyce M., for sharing her recipe!

Be sure to check out all of the awesome recipes from the other Festive Foodies by clicking the links down below, and big thanks to Camilla for hosting!


Carmelized Baked Custards


Carmelized Baked Custards

ingredients:

  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup Irish cream liqueur
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

instructions:

How to cook Carmelized Baked Custards

  1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a saucepan, heat cream and liqueur until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from heat. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar until blended but not foamy. Slowly stir in hot cream mixture. Stir in vanilla.
  2. Place six 6-oz. broiler-safe ramekins in a baking pan large enough to hold them without touching. Pour cream mixture into ramekins. Place pan on oven rack; add very hot water to pan to within 1/2 in. of tops of ramekins.
  3. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean; centers will still be soft. Immediately remove ramekins from water bath to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes. Refrigerate until cold.
  4. To caramelize topping with a kitchen torch, sprinkle custards evenly with remaining sugar. Hold torch flame about 2 in. above custard surface and rotate it slowly until sugar is evenly caramelized. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour.
  5. To caramelize topping in a broiler, place ramekins on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Preheat broiler. Sprinkle custards evenly with remaining sugar. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 5-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour.
Source: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/caramelized-baked-custards
custard, baked, brulee
Dessert
American
Created using The Recipes Generator


Camilla, Culinary Adventures with Camilla: Tarte Flambée
Jolene, Jolene's Recipe Journal: Caramelized Baked Custards
Karen, Karen's Kitchen Stories: Black Olive Fougasse
Coleen, The Redhead Baker: Mini Butter Croissants
Caroline, Caroline's Cooking: Lemon Madeleines
Amy, Amy's Cooking Adventures: Ratatouille Bake


Comments

  1. Thanks for joining me, Jolene. Funny story about a kitchen torch. When my older son ordered a creme brulee at a restaurant where the owners are dear friends, they brought out the torch and let him do it himself. The next time he ordered it, at another restaurant, he was so disappointed that it didn't come with the torch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty fun to torch it up, I can see why he was disappointed :)

      Delete
  2. You've inspired me to break out the kitchen torch I bought at least three years ago and never have used! These sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've taken it out of the package, I can't wait to make more torchable recipes LOL

      Delete
  3. Oh my gracious, these sounds amazing! I definitely need to add these to my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful - I've always been a creme brulee fan, so sure I'd like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it took me so long to make it at home!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Back in the day I used to bake from home for extra money.  This was one of the most popular items.  Cake mix sizes have changed and if you're using the 15.75 ounce ones bake them in 8" pans. If you want to use the 9" rounds, you can also use this cake mix upsizer to make up the difference between the old and new cake mix sizes.  If the layers are too thin, you'll never be able to flip and stack them without a mess. Be sure to keep track of which pan has the pineapple rings and cherries in it and which doesn't so that you can easily turn them out onto the plate in the right order.    Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained 1/2 stick butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 8 ounce can pineapple slices 8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice 1 package yellow cake mix (15.75 ounces) Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter and coat the