I'm not a big fan of green peppers, but I'll eat orange, red and yellow ones all day, so that's what I used. The beef mixture comes together really quickly, and it froze great too. I plan on adding some black beans to the next batch. This was a great main dish meal, and would also make great appetizers if made in the mini/baby bell peppers that are available now.
I hope you're enjoying #FarmersMarketWeek as much as I am! I'm printing and pinning recipes like crazy. You can check out what the rest of the #FestiveFoodies are making today by following the links at the bottom of the post.
Southwest Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3/4 cups chopped seeded tomatoes, divided
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water, divided
- 4 medium green peppers (I used orange and yellow)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 grape tomatoes, halved, optional
How to cook Southwest Stuffed Peppers
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, red pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in 1/2 cup tomatoes, chili powder, cornstarch, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut green peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place in an ungreased shallow 3-qt. microwave-safe dish; add remaining water. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until crisp tender. Drain; fill each pepper half with 1/3 cup beef mixture.
- Top with the remaining tomatoes. Garnish with sour cream, cheese, green onions and grape tomatoes if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Peppers, Southwest, ground beef
Created using The Recipes Generator
Wednesday #FarmersMarketWeek Recipes
- Charred Corn, Zucchini, Arugula Pizza by The Baking Fairy
- Cherry Strawberry Frozen Yogurt by Caroline's Cooking
- Corn Pasta with Bacon and Pecorino Romano by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Fresh Blueberry Streusel Topped Crumb Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Green Bean Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Peaches with Ice Cream by House of Nash Eats
- Indian Style Vegetable Fried Rice by Palatable Pastime
- Maple Bundt Cake with Cinnamon Maple Glaze by Family Around the Table
- Naan Bread Grilled Veggie Pizza by The Freshman Cook
- Peach, Zucchini and Onion Flatbread by Cookaholic Wife
- Raspberry Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken by Tip Garden
- Roasted Onion Dip by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Savory Tomato Pie by Cooking With Carlee
- Southwest Stuffed Peppers by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Strawberry Shortcake Milkshake by The Redhead Baker
- Vegetable Lasagne Stuffed Zucchini Boats by Everyday Eileen
- Veggie Bagel Sandwich by Books n' Cooks
- Watermelon Mojito Popsicles by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Zucchini Scones by Kate's Recipe Box