January is National Oatmeal Month! I've been eating oatmeal almost daily for about a year now, and I'm still surprised at how many great ways there are to change it up. I was surfing Pinterest and came across this Irish Oatmeal Brulee recipe from Rose W., and immediately put it on the menu.
I made a few small changes to the recipe. I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk instead of the 2%. I also omitted the raisins because I used all of mine making Christmas cookies and forgot to replace them. This smells absolutely amazing as it's cooking!
One small method change as well, the recipe calls for broiling the tops, but I'll take any excuse to use my kitchen torch. I love how creamy it turns out, and the little pockets of sweetness from the maple syrup. The crunchy brown sugar just puts it into a whole new level of goodness, do not to skip that step!
Be sure to go and check out all the other amazing recipes that the #FoodieExtravaganza bloggers are sharing by clicking the links at the bottom of the post. Big thanks go out to Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm for hosting this month!
Irish Oatmeal Brulee
- 8 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups steel-cut oats (I like Flahavan's)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 orange peel strip (1 to 3 inches)
- 1 Dash salt
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (omitted)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Buttermilk, optional
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
How to cook Irish Oatmeal Brulee
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring milk to a boil over medium heat. Add the oats, cinnamon, orange peel and salt. Reduce heat; simmer for 30 minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat; discard cinnamon and orange peel. Stir in the cranberries, raisins, syrup and a small amount of buttermilk if desired. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to eight ungreased 6-oz. ramekins. Place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Serve immediately.
Created using The Recipes Generator
Foodie Extravaganza is a monthly food fest, where a group of bloggers all create and share a recipe around one of the monthly food 'holidays' as detailed in The Nibble. Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board!
- Apple Banana Smoothie from Caroline's Cooking
- Coconut &Banana Oat Pancakes from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite aWhiskered Accomplice
- Irish Oatmeal Brulee from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Oatmeal Crusted Chicken Strips from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Oats & Split Green Moong Chillas/Pancakes from Sneha's Recipe
- Old Fashioned Oatmeal Bread from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pumpkin Oatmeal from Making Miracles
- Spicy Cheesy Bacon Oatmeal from Food Lust People Love