Luckily for us, his peanut numbers dropped lower and lower with each subsequent year's testing, until finally he was deemed "cured" of his allergy. Ironically, he doesn't enjoy peanut butter at all, but I've completely fallen in love with it. I especially like the types that are sweetened with maple or honey.
My go-to way to enjoy peanut butter is spread on slices of tart apple and then sprinkled with pumpkin seeds. Super simple. When I went searching for a recipe for this event, I was looking for something similar, simple but full of different flavors and textures.
I found these Peanut Butter, Honey and Pear Open Faced Sandwiches in the November issue of Taste of Home magazine. I made some slight changes, but the spirit of the recipe is the same. I used a 12 grain bread, which is what I keep on hand. I used smooth peanut butter just due to personal preference.
I was on the fence about the cheese, but I really enjoyed it. Instead of using the microwave, I popped it under the broiler. Just watch the edges of your toast doing it that way! This would definitely be awesome with apples too.
Thank you so much to L.J. for sharing her recipe, it's a keeper! Be sure to go and check out what the other Festive Foodies are serving up for #NationalPeanutButterDay by clicking the links below.
Peanut Butter, Honey and Pear Open Faced Sandwiches
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 slices 15 grain bread, toasted
- 1 medium pear, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 2 sandwich slices cheddar cheese, cut in strips
How to cook Peanut Butter, Honey and Pear Open Faced Sandwiches
- Spread peanut butter over toast slices. Top with pear, salt, honey and cheese. Preheat broiler. Place on sheet pan and broil until cheese is melted
- Slightly adapted from https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/peanut-butter--honey---pear-open-faced-sandwiches/
Created using The Recipes Generator
- Veggie Pad Thai by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cinnamon Peanut Butter Dip by Blogghetti
- Jamming Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwiches by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Peanut Butter Banana Protein Donuts by Crumb Top Baking
- Lettuce Wrapped Sweet and Sour Pork with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- The Best Double Chocolate Buckeyes by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Mom’s Peanut Butter Pie with Chocolate Crust by Family Around the Table
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies by House of Nash Eats
- Peanut Butter, Honey and Pear Open Faced Sandwiches by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- No churn Peanut Butter Ice Cream by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Peanut Butter Apple Breakfast Wraps by Kate's Recipe Box
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Keto Fat Bombs by Our Good Life
- Strawberry Peanut Butter Quesadilla by Palatable Pastime
- Peanut Butter Hummus by Savory Moments
- Peanut Butter Granola Bars by Sweet Beginnings
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Puff Pastry Braid by The Baking Fairy
- Fluffernutter Pie by The Spiffy Cookie