February is National Potato Lovers Month, and in this house, we are truly smitten. Red, purple, white, gold, mashed, baked, fried, serve them up, we're in! Because it's one of our most often eaten sides, I'm always looking for new ways to make them.
I found these Sausage Stuffed Red Potatoes on the Taste of Home site and used it as jumping off point. I used hot Italian turkey sausage, and I also added about half a small jalapeno that I diced up along with the red bell pepper. The directions call for added the cheese in with the sausage mixture, but I just sprinkled it on top and then heated it up.
These will be perfect for parties, or for game day. Since I dialed the heat up with the sausage and jalapeno, I enjoyed them with a little dollop of sour cream on top. So many different ways you could spin these by changing up the protein and the vegetables too.
Be sure to go and check out all the other amazing recipes that the #FoodieExtravaganza bloggers are sharing by clicking the links at the bottom of the post. Big thanks go out to Anne from Simple and Savory for hosting this month!
Sausage Stuffed Red Potatoes
- 8 red potatoes
- 1 pound hot Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced small
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1T plus 1t minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded fiesta blend
- Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and peppers over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Add onions and 1 tablespoon parsley; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Cut each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out 1 tablespoon pulp (save for another use).
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons sausage mixture into each half. Place on a microwave-safe plate. Top with cheese. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Foodie Extravaganza is a monthly food fest, where a group of bloggers all create and share a recipe around one of the monthly food 'holidays' as detailed in The Nibble. Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board!