This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
We are huge Peeps fans in this house, especially my son, and I was so excited to hear that they'd signed on as a sponsor for this event. Peeps wants to know, are you Team #PeepsBunny or Team #PeepsChick? This got me thinking about different ways the bunnies and chicks might square off against each other. Squares. Checkerboard. Game on!
Initially I thought about doing sugar cookies, but they are prone to spreading, so I went with shortbread instead. The completed checkerboard requires 2 batches of dough. I do not recommend trying to mix a double batch of the dough in one bowl. It is far too hard to work with that way. Make one batch, roll it out, get it baking and then do the second.
This was my first ever shortbread, and I completely panicked that it was not going to come together. I saw that crumbly mess in the bowl, and automatically reread the directions to see if I'd done something wrong,. but it rolled out perfectly between the waxed paper. I cut out the squares with a 2x2 cutter. The great thing about shortbread is that it doesn't spread, so I got about 20 cookies per half sheet tray, and the two batches makes 80 2x2" cookies.
I made the icing in 2 batches as well, one bowl for each color. You can use the outline and fill method, which entails making the icing a bit thicker at first to pipe borders and then thinning it out and filling in the inside, or you can make it thin to start and just spoon it over the cookies. I went with the second method. I placed the cooled cookies on wire racks over parchment paper and spooned the color over, making sure the tops were completely covered.
Once the icing was set, I laid them out in the classic checkerboard pattern, and placed the Peeps on top. I was so happy with how it turned out. We had fun playing a few games, though there was some debate over whether it was legal to eat the Peeps that you jumped over :)
Peeps and our other SpringSweetsWeek sponsors are helping us give away some great prizes. Thank you so much Swiss Diamond, Dixie Crystals, Nancy’s Yogurt, Sprinkle Pop, Adams Extracts, Barleans, and Melissa’s Produce for your generosity. We have an incredible giveaway below and would love if you would take a moment to read about it and what you can win!
Peeps Shortbread Checkerboard
- 1 package Peeps Bunnies
- 2 packages Peeps Chicks
- 4 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 cups flour
- For Icing:
- Powdered sugar
- corn syrup
- food coloring
- Heat oven to 300 degrees. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly add in flour. Mixture will look crumbly. Move to your work surface and knead and press the dough together for about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Working with half the dough at a time, roll out between 2 sheets of wax or parchment paper to approximately 1/4." Cut cookies with 2" square cutter. Place on baking sheets 2" apart. Bake for 20 to 25 mins. Move to racks and cool completely.
- For icing, combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat until smooth. Place cookies on a wire rack above a baking sheet or parchment. Spoon icing over cookies, spreading to the edges. Let set for 8 hours or overnight.
- Arrange cookies in a checkerboard pattern on a large platter or food grade cardboard. Top with Peeps.
Created using The Recipes Generator
Welcome to #SpringSweetsWeek 2019 hosted by Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures! What better way to celebrate the coming of spring than with food and a fun giveaway? 30 bloggers from around the country have come together to share over 100 sweet recipes perfect for spring!
Monday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- A PEEP into the Upcoming #SpringSweetsWeek Festivities by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Blueberry Shortbread by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Carrot Cake Balls by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Carrot Cake Nest Cookies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Swirl Cheesecake by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Coconut Lemon Pound Cake by The Crumby Kitchen
- Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Easy Marshmallow Popcorn Balls by House of Nash Eats
- Healthier Orange Julius Copycat by Simply Inspired Meals
- Individual Italian Easter Breads by Cookaholic Wife
- Lemon Blueberry Croissant Bread Pudding by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Blueberry Scones by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
- Lemon Ricotta Stuffed Crepes with Cherry Syrup by Cooking With Carlee
- Mini Key Lime Cheesecakes by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Mini Strawberry Mousse Tarts by A Savory Feast
- Orange Pineapple Nice Cream Pops by Crumb Top Baking
- PB&J PEEPSomars by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Peach Blueberry Upside Down Cake by The Tip Garden
- Peeps Shortbread Checkerboard by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Roasted Strawberry Mousse Tart by The Gingered Whisk
- Soft Frosted Lemon Cookies by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Spring Fruit and Rice Krispies Treat Kabobs by Blogghetti
- Strawberry Raspberry Smoothie by Books n' Cooks
- Sweet Breakfast Crepes by The Speckled Palate
- Toasted Pound Cake by Our Good Life
- Vanilla Bean Dutch Baby with Strawberry Hibiscus Syrup by The Baking Fairy
- White Chocolate Strawberry and Champagne Scones with Champagne Glaze by Family Around the Table
- White Cupcakes with Blueberry Frosting by Sweet Beginnings
- Xangos by Palatable Pastime
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Swiss Diamond, Nancy’s Yogurt, Barlean’s, Sprinkle Pop, PEEPS, Melissa’s Produce, and Adams Extracts for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.