So happy that the weather is finally starting to turn and I can start grilling more of our meals! We eat chicken at least a couple of times a week and it can be a challenge to change it up so we don't get bored with it. One of the best ways I've found to do that is with marinades.
I saved this recipe for Honey Citrus Grilled Chicken Sandwiches a while back from Taste of Home. I like that it uses ingredients I always keep on hand. I will say, I'm not a big fan of bottled citrus juices, instead I buy fresh and juice them myself. Then I pour the juice into ice cube trays and freeze them solid. It's great because I can just pop them out and thaw them as needed.
For marinades with citrus, you want to be cautious that you don't leave the chicken there for too long, it can start to change its texture. I let these go about 4 hours. I prepped all my toppings ahead because the chicken doesn't take long to grill at all. To add cheese or to not add cheese is totally up to you, both versions are delicious.
We're at the #BBQWeek mid-way point, can you believe it? I've pinned so many new things to try, and I hope you have also. Check out today's recipes by using the links down below the recipe!
Honey Citrus Chicken Sandwiches
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (1/8 to 1/4)
- 6 slices cheese, optional, I used Colby Jack
- 6 ciabatta rolls, split
- 6 thin tomato slices
- 6 red onion slices
- Shredded lettuce
How to cook Honey Citrus Chicken Sandwiches
- Flatten chicken breast evenly to 1/2 in. thickness; set aside. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the orange and lemon juices, honey, oil, mustard, poultry seasoning, and cayenne pepper. Add chicken breasts; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
- Drain; discard marinade. Grill, uncovered, over medium-low heat, turning occasionally, for 10-12 minutes or until juices run clear. If desired, top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese and grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese begins to melt. Serve on rolls with tomato, onion, and lettuce.
Created using The Recipes Generator
- BBQ Grilled Corn on the Cob by The Spiffy Cookie
- Brown Butter Blondies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Calico Beans with Hamburger by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Patriotic Blueberry Jello Cheesecake Salad by Daily Dish Recipes
- Easy White Bean Salad by Caroline's Cooking
- Grilled Eggplant, Tomatoes, and Burrata Platter by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Pineapple Salsa by Food Above Gold
- Grilled Pork Thai Bowl by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled BBQ Strawberry Shortcake by Our Good Life
- Grilled Tuscan Chicken Flatbreads by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Vegetables with Whipped Avocado Feta Dip by Kate's Recipe Box
- Honey Citrus Chicken Sandwiches by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Jalapeno Bacon Baked Beans by Sweet Beginnings
- Kaiser Rolls by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- No Bake Oreos and Cream Dessert by Family Around the Table
- Red Skinned Potato Salad by The Beard and The Baker
- Salami and Cream Cheese Roll Ups by Cookaholic Wife
- S'mores Bars by Back To My Southern Roots
- Strawberry Green Iced Tea by Palatable Pastime