A few years back, one of my fellow Taste of Home Magazine Volunteer Field Editors, R.D. Stendel-Freels, posted in our Facebook group about making bacon and eggplant sandwiches and submitting the recipe. I thought, those sound amazing! And I immediately pinned them to my eggplant board.
Fast forward, and I'm searching for inspiration for #FarmersMarketWeek. I knew I wanted to do something with eggplant, but wasn't quite sure what. There these were, and they sounded absolutely perfect for this event. Tomatoes are just coming in, and I got some beautiful eggplant.
I didn't make any changes to his recipe, but if you absolutely don't like eggplant, they would also be fantastic with zucchini. Don't like provolone? Use mozzarella! Don't like bacon? Sorry, I can't help you there, you're on your own.
Thanks so much to R.D. for sharing his awesome recipe! Do you have an amazing recipe you'd like to submit to Taste of Home? Follow this link and learn how! Want to apply to be a Volunteer Field Editor? Check out the requirements and apply here!
I hope you're enjoying #FarmersMarketWeek as much as I am, I'm pinning lots of new things to try! Be sure to go check out what the other bloggers made today by clicking the links down below the recipe :)
Bacon and Eggplant Sandwiches
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 lb. provolone cheese, sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 slices cooked bacon
- salt and pepper to taste
How to cook Bacon and Eggplant Sandwiches
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- Peel eggplant and slice into 12 rounds, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Combine olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a shallow bowl. Dip each slice of eggplant into oil and vinegar mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange half of the eggplant slices on a tray. Slice cooked bacon strips in half. Place a slice of tomato and a slice of cheese on each slice of eggplant, and place two halves of bacon overlapping on top of cheese. Top with remaining slices of eggplant, and secure each stack with a toothpick.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Remove toothpicks, and arrange stacks on grate.
- Cook about 7 to 8 minutes, then carefully flip. Continue cooking for 6 to 7 minutes.
bacon, eggplant, low carb
sandwiches, lunch, dinner, snacks,
Created using The Recipes Generator
Thanks Ellen from Family Around the Table and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures for hosting our Farmer’s Market Event!
Tuesday’s Farmer’s Market Week Recipes
- Bacon and Cheddar Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Bacon and Eggplant Sandwiches by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Baked Stuffed Potatoes with Mushrooms & Onions by Intelligent Domestications
- Caprese Burgers by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese by Tip Garden
- Honey Garlic Green Beans by Kate's Recipe Box
- Blistered Tomato and Goat Cheese Pasta by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Old Bay Corn Pie by Cookaholic Wife
- Peach Cobbler Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice