This is the first year I've been able to harvest the rhubarb from my garden. Today I got three nice sized, very red stalks so went searching for a recipe and came up with these Buttermilk Rhubarb Muffins from Taste of Home.
I upped the amount of nutmeg to 1/2 teaspoon and also added 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. I took about 1/4 cup of the flour called for in the recipe and tossed it with the rhubarb to keep it from sinking, a trick I learned from my Gram. I use a cookie scoop to distribute the batter evenly. I also topped the batter with raw sugar before baking, we love the sparkle and crunch it gives the muffins.
Thank you so much to Stacy for hosting and to all of the other #MuffinMonday bakers for sharing their recipes, be sure to check them out using the links down below!
Buttermilk Rhubarb Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- Raw (turbinado sugar) for sprinkling on top (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle batter with raw sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday can be found on our home page.
- Buttermilk Rhubarb Muffins from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Cream Cheese Coffee Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins from Making Miracles
- Lemon Strawberry Muffins from Magical Ingredients
- Sourdough Cherry Almond Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
I'm so jealous of your rhubarb plant, Jolene! It just doesn't want to grow well down south. Lovely muffins!ReplyDelete
Getting fresh fruits and plants from our garden will be nice thing. I wish I had Rhubarb in my garden. Your muffins looks not only delicious but also lovely color too.ReplyDelete
Wow! You are growing rhubarb! I have never tasted rhubarb and you have convinced me enough to try it. The muffin looks amazing and delicious.ReplyDelete
Love that sparkly crunch and beautiful bright red bites of rhubarb throughout!ReplyDelete