Can you believe it's almost July already? I sure can't! Today I'll be sharing my version of a dish that will be the hit of your Independence Day get together, Red, White & Blue Summer Salad. I found this recipe on Taste of Home and put a few spins on it to account for personal taste and items I had on hand.
I omitted the mint that was called for in the dressing because I'm not really a fan. I had regular balsamic on hand so that's what I used. Swapped out the cherry tomatoes for grape tomatoes and used baby spinach instead of arugula. I prefer nectarines over peaches. I wasn't able to get mozzarella pearls in my pickup so I cut up a ball of fresh mozzarella into bite sized chunks instead.
The tomatoes almost didn't make it onto the salad because they were delicious alone and I kept snacking on them while I set up the photos. You could also toss the mozzarella pearls in with them so they absorb more of the delicious dressing.
Thank you so much to Emily F. for sharing her recipe! Be sure to go and check out all the fun red, white & blue dishes the other bloggers made using the links down below. Thank you to Ellen from Family Around the Table for hosting!
Red, White & Blue Summer Salad
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 8 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 ball (8oz) fresh mozzarella cheese, in bite size pieces
- 2 medium nectarines, sliced
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, julienned
- In a small bowl, whisk the first 9 ingredients.
- Add tomatoes; let stand while preparing salad.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, mozzarella, nectarine slices, blueberries and prosciutto.
- Pour tomato mixture over top; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Other salad recipes you may enjoy:
- All American Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dog with Patriotic Slaw by Our Good Life
- Celebration Nachos by Palatable Pastime
- Patriotic Berry Trifle by Making Miracles
- Patriotic Charcuterie by Hostess at Heart
- Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats by Family Around the Table
- Red, White, and Blue Blueberry Shortcakes by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Red, White, and Blue Bundt Cake by House of Nash Eats
- Red, White, and Blue Marbled Layer Cake by Lemon Blossoms
- Red, White, and Blue Celebration Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Red, White & Blue Cheesecake Salad by Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Red, White, and Blue Strawberry Bites by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Red, White, & Blue Summer Salad by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Summer Berry Filled Cupcakes by Cookaholic Wife
I love adding fruit to salads. I especially would enjoy those slices of nectarine. Gorgeous.ReplyDelete
A great salad option for a summer cookout. It's so festive too.ReplyDelete
What a beautiful salad. I just love all of the sweet fruit with those greens and mozzarella!ReplyDelete
I love this beautiful salad! It's so full of colorful flavor, and it's perfect for the 4th of July!ReplyDelete
How fun is this?? I could make a meal from this salad!ReplyDelete
This looks so tasty and that dressing sounds delicious..ReplyDelete
What a wonderful salad to take to a potluck on the 4th! I love this idea and the fun and easy approach to a patriotic-themed side.ReplyDelete