Quinoa has been one of my go-to side dishes for a few years now and I'm always looking for new ways to serve it up. I found Cindy R's Quinoa and Black Bean Stuffed Peppers on the Taste of Home site.
The recipe calls for cutting the tops off of green peppers, but I prefer yellow and red instead. I also cut them in half. This meant I had to microwave them in two batches instead of one, and then I moved them to a 13x9 baking dish.
I used pre-rinsed quinoa, which is a huge time saver. I like that this recipe uses some of my favorite pantry staples, black beans and salsa. I used whole milk ricotta because that's what I have on hand.
I topped them with Fiesta blend cheese. If you want to up the general heat level, you can definitely go with a spicier blend.
Quinoa and Black Bean Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 large red and yellow bell peppers
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa, divided
- 15oz reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Fiesta Blend cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice peppers in half, remove seeds. Place 4 halves into a greased 9x9 glass baking dish or pie plate, cut side down.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Move peppers to 13x9 dish, cut side up.
- Reserve 1/3 cup salsa; add remaining salsa to quinoa. Stir in beans, ricotta cheese and 1/4 cup Fiesta blend cheese.
- Spoon mixture into peppers; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until filling is heated through, 10-15 minutes. Top with reserved salsa.
Other quinoa recipes you may enjoy: