Another month has flown by and it's Muffin Monday again! This month's recipe is brought to you in part by my husband who buys variety packs of oatmeal but doesn't like one flavor that's in it. They were stacking up in the cabinet so I went searching the Taste of Home site for a way to use them up.
These Breakfast Oatmeal Muffins call for leftover oatmeal, so I made up a couple packets and let them cool. I did make a few other changes to the recipe, first subbing canola for the vegetable oil, that's what I keep on hand.
Next up, the raisins. While my guys will eat them, they don't really love them. My son's vote was for cinnamon chips so I used those instead. Chocolate chips, dried cranberries or other dried fruits would be great as well.
My one mistakes was forgetting to toss the cinnamon chips with some of the flour like my Gram taught me. Most of them sunk to the bottom which made it harder to test when the muffins were done. I've noted it on the recipe for next time, and there definitely will be a next time because they're absolutely delicious muffins.
Thanks so much to Stacy for hosting #MuffinMonday and to all the other awesome bloggers who shared recipes today, be sure to go check out what they made using the links down below!
Breakfast Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup leftover oatmeal
- 1 cup cinnamon chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350º.
- In small bowl, toss cinnamon chips with 1T flour. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine remaining flour, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, combine oil, eggs, oatmeal, cinnamon chips/flour and vanilla.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened (the batter will be thin).
- Scoop into 12 greased muffin cups.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until the muffins test done.
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a
month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by
following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday can be found on our home page.
- Blackberry Mini Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Breakfast Oatmeal Muffins from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Choco Peanut Butter Oat-Millet Muffins from Magical Ingredients
- Morning Glory Muffins with Vanilla Cream Cheese from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Protein Packed Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Sourdough Red Velvet Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen