I know, I hear you saying it, "Sweet potatoes for BREAKFAST?" I thought it too when I saw the recipe on the Taste of Home site. But sweet potatoes are filling, loaded with Vitamin A and other vitamins and minerals.
I cheated a bit and bought a bag of steamable sweet potatoes. You just pop them in the microwave bag and all and it only takes a few minutes. While they did their thing, I toasted up the coconut.
The recipe suggests coconut Greek yogurt, but I went with vanilla. I chose a Granny Smith apple, wanted some tart to balance the sweet. A little sprinkle of toasted coconut. Pepitas would be nice too.
Oops, speaking of sweet, almost forgot the maple syrup! Please, please, please, use real maple syrup and not "pancake" syrup. I know that it's pricey, but you use a lot less and it tastes a whole lot better. Whether you eat these as breakfast or as a side dish I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
Breakfast Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 medium apple, chopped, I used Granny Smith
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake until tender, 45-60 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, cut an "X" in each potato. Fluff pulp with a fork.
- Top with remaining ingredients.
**Can also use steam in bag, follow the package directions and proceed with recipe from step 3.
Slightly adapted from: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/breakfast-sweet-potatoes/