Skip to main content

Chinese Scallion Pancakes

Continuing my quest to replicate some of our restaurant favorites at home I tried my hand at Chinese Scallion Pancakes from Taste of Home. Though they're made from just a few simple ingredients, the method seemed a bit daunting to me. 


I made it easier a few ways.  First, I mixed the dough in my stand mixer. I got it about 99% there and then I kneaded it by hand for the last little bit.  Letting it rest is crucial, and I think next time I'd give it a full hour. 


To portion the dough I used a bench scraper.  I cut the ball in half, then the halves in half and so on.  This gave me 8 perfectly equal balls of dough. 


I rolled each ball out on top of my pastry mat which is handy because it has measurements on it.  The first few I used way too much sesame oil, making them slippery and a bit hard to roll up. 

 

This is where it can get tricky.   You want to roll it into a spiral, pressing the seams.  The spirals are then rolled out to an 8" circle. Pop them one at a time into a hot pan with a little oil and fry them up.


I didn't quite get mine to that measurement, I think because I sliced the scallions too large. Next time I'll definitely make thinner strips or even mince them.  This led to the pancakes being a bit thick and them taking a smidge longer to cook. 


The dipping sauce comes together easy peasy. I used ginger paste, but usually I'd run my ginger root over the Microplane. It's perfectly balanced with sweet and heat.  Thank you so much to Jenni S for sharing her recipe! Maybe I'll give fortune cookies a try next!
 

 

Chinese Scallion Pancakes

Chinese Scallion Pancakes
Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal

Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/3 cups boiling water
  • 4 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 6 green onions, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
DIPPING SAUCE:
  • 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
  • 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Instructions

  1. Place flour in a large bowl; stir in boiling water until dough forms a ball. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 4-6 minutes. Place in a large bowl; cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
  2. Divide dough into 8 portions; roll each portion into an 8-in. circle. Brush with 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil; sprinkle with 1 heaping tablespoon of green onion and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
  3. Roll into a thin cylinder (jelly-roll style); starting at one end, twist cylinder onto itself forming a coil, pinching to seal. Flatten slightly. Roll each coil to 1/8-in. thickness.
  4. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil. Over medium-high heat, cook 1 pancake at a time until golden brown, 2-3 minutes on each side.
  5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Serve with pancakes.

Other recipes you may enjoy:

scallions, pancake
Appetizers,
Chinese

*************



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Strawberry Pizzelles

Pizzelles are one of my favorite childhood cookies and I'm constantly looking for ways to put a new spin on them.  Since one of my favorite summer fruits is strawberries, I swapped out the vanilla in the original recipe with strawberry extract.  This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SummerDessertWeek !  I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. I also added some red food coloring to give it a pink hue, but you can skip that if you like.  I use a cookie scoop to portion out the batter, it keeps all the pizzelles the same size, plus it's quicker than using two spoons.   They're delicious as is but you can take them over the top by fashioning them into a cylinder which we like to call fauxnoli.  You can pipe them full of whipped cream or buttercream.  If you want to prepare everything in advance, store the pizzelle in an airtight container, and the filling in a pastry or zip top bag in the f